Hunting The Ice

Good luck! That is awesome. 

Are you set up in snow blinds? Or are you on the bank edge?

Bank edge in lay down blinds and this three man blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you do any good?

My Dad and I only went a couple times this year. Our season ended yesterday.

We went out one morning to hunt a river expecting it to be open. It had froze shut over night. We had 10 dozen decoys we had been planning to put out so that plan didn't work. We set 3 goose floaters on the ice and we had 6 field mallards we set up a little ways away. About 15 minutes into legal time a flock of geese came down the river and spotted our couple decoys and turned and landed right into our decoys. I thin there were 7 or 8 of them. We got 3 out of the first flock. Two more geese came in later and we got them both. Then as we were thinking of leaving I saw a lone duck and called and he turned and dropped right in. We weren't really prepared for how close the birds were. We both had full chokes and the birds were coming in at about 20 yards at most.

We ended up with the 5 geese and one gadwall drake. I didn't think it was too bad for the conditions. I was ready to go home when I saw the ice there in the dark.

3 of 4 more flocks of geese came by that looked like they wanted into the area but I was breaking through ice with the canoe to retrieve birds when they flew by.

Awesome! They sure love those little pockets of water through the ice. Looks like a great hunt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back