Idaho Selway Unit

eppicredneck

Apr 8, 2019
Hey guys! I am a disabled veteran, I have been looking for a challenge, so I bought myself a Selway B unit Elk tag, I also got a deer and bear tag. I know this will be a physical hunt. Please chime in with advice only, all other comments will be ignored. Any good places to start in the unit? How is the Paradise campground area to start? Are there a lot of hunters in the area? Anyone know if the bulls are generally in Rut in mid to late September?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site eppicredneck, and thank you for your service!  :welcome:

I've never hunted Idaho, so not much help there but hopefully someone will chime in. Good luck this year!

eppicredneck said:
Well at least someone said hello lol.
[/l]​

What do you expect? First post and you want someone to give you a place to hunt and nothing else.
For one vet to another, Thanks for your service and good luck.​

They can answer any one of the questions I asked, I didn?t ask for a place to hunt, I specifically asked how a place was, how busy the location was, and if the bulls are still in rut lol. Thanks though!

Any good places to start?    Get away from roads and other hunters.

How is the Paradise Campground?  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/bitterroot/recarea/?recid=60666

Are there a lot of hunters?  https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/stats/?season=general&game=elk&yr=2018

Are the bulls in rut mid to late September?  In most western states that have elk that is the prime time to experience rut activity. I have no first hand experience of that area though.

A few minutes on Google will reveal lots of info.  Happy hunting. Good luck. Thanks for your service.

Thanks Bow! I had been to the website was hoping someone has been there first hand and can speak from experience. I?m going up plenty early so I can check out the 3 or 4 campgrounds north of magruder crossing. I?m going back country but if it?s going to be bumping into hunters every other mile, it might not be worth it. Idaho and Washington tut are pretty close, so I assumed they would still be in rut but it?s more a curiosity thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did your hunt go? I'm a disabled vet looking to hunt elk in 2020 in Idaho. I haven't settled on which unit to hunt yet.

Oh shit lol. I ended up in panhandle - long story. My hunt sucked but that was my fault, tons of dudes on 4 wheelers, I should have stayed in selway and suffered lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back