Is there such a thing as TOO GOOD of elk habitat?

Falconview

Nov 2, 2020
I've found a place with elk sign all over. There's almost unlimited food, water and sanctuary. But in 2 seasons and several days in the field, I haven't seen or heard elk when I was there. The unit is pretty massive and I've come to think they could be anywhere at any time, so how do I find them when I'm there? I've heard they often make a circuit and that circuit may be 5 or 6 days before they're back in a given area. Any truth to that? And if so, is it simply a matter of having enough consecutive days in the field to wait them out? Interested in any insights. This is an OTC unit and I'll be hunting the back end of the season for about 8 days not counting travel.

There are spots in every unit that look like they should hold elk, yet sometimes they just never use those spots. The fact there is sign in the area helps, but if it's not fresh, it doesn't matter during your hunt. I'm of the opinion that you cover ground until you find elk. That can be covering ground with your boots, with calls, with optics, etc. But if elk aren't in an area on one day, I'm moving to another spot. Staying in the same area and hoping they come by can work, but I've found it's better to take it upon myself to go find them.

Yes to everything cohunter14 said. If there is sign there then they are using it but it could be a place they use in the summer or later in the fall. I cover ground until I find fresh tracks. Seeing and hearing them is good too but if they aren't in the open or talking then those options might not work but they leave tracks everywhere they go.

I find that if elk are undisturbed they will stay in the same place until they eat everything there that they want and then they move on. I am looking for tracks but I'm looking for those tracks in areas with food first.

I have several places that have everything elk want and sometimes they just aren't in those areas. I will hunt them once and then move on. If I run out of areas I will go back to my other areas that didn't have elk earlier but not until I have checked out plans B C D down to Z.

If your hunting the back end of the season then the best looking areas may have already been hunted pretty hard and you might be better off looking at more inaccessible places.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back