Is this a typical or non-typical?

huntelk1

Jan 2, 2013
Took this bull this past season.  Green scored him @ 275+-.  Kinda looks like a stag to me.  What do u guys think.

Attachments

• 19d8777ec111393f96f71156e323cdd112672336.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
I would go against the grain here and call it a typical, The extra point is call an imperial point, not to common but makes for a pretty rack. But then again its not typical to see bulls with imperial points which "isn't typical" so there is two sides to that debate.

I would call it a typical. Yes they are nontypical points there but not enough inches to swing it into the nontypical category.

Here is another one just like it. My son also killed another one a few miles from mine.. the same thing. 7x7's

Attachments

• elk-2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
By the book he is typical.

For non-typical the rack must meet the 300" minimum and have at least 20" in non-typical points.

I believe it the point comes off the mainbeam it is considered a typical point if it comes off another point it is considered nontypical.  From the pictures it is hard to tell but I would lean more towards non-typical.  I have seen a few bulls that have a kicker coming off the 4th point.  One year up scouting I had one that had nice kickers coming off both 4ths walk up to within 5 yards of the tree I was sitting under.

Non typical for sure. The points kinda resemble the extra points on my bull. One of the extra Royals even comes off the main beam and was considered non typical. That decision came from 3 different scorers. Put the number of total inches aside, no matter the size, those would be considered non typical.

Even if the bull doesn't have enough inches of non typical points to swing it into the non typical category they would still be considered non typical points. I could have chosen to score my bull as either a typical or non. As a typical the extra royals or imperials as some call them wouldn't count towards the score and it would have a typical score. Of course the non typical score includes the extras.

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0232.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back