Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

arik1

Dec 13, 2018
Anyone have any insight on the kuiu Icon pro packs? I know the main debate is MR vs EXO most of the time, and I'm in the same boat. But I looked at kuiu the other day. Same weight, same type setup, and slightly cheaper than the EXO. Now I'm torn. I would say I finally got the wife's approval to buy one of these packs, but it's more like she just surrendered to the fact that it's happening haha. Now I need to figure out which pack to buy. HELP!

I have the Icon Pro 3500. It fits me great and allows good airflow to the back. I used a Badlands 2200 before that was comfortable but no airflow. I had trouble regulating my temp. I had to start out uncomfortably cold or I was shedding layers quickly. On hot days my back was always wet. The KUIU breathes and handle more weight than I can. Plus it is one pound lighter.

I struggled with different packs for years.
Finally I tried my buddy?s Icon Pro 1850.

Wow. What a difference.

I then bought one.
No more shoulder fatigue, very light weight.

I liked it so much I bought my son the Icon Ultra 1800. 

Like mentioned above, no more sweaty back, ability to haul meat, and very light weight

I have the 5200 and the 1850 packs with the pro frame from a couple of versions ago. The 5200 had enough volume for a 10 day sheep hunt and the 1850 is great for day hunts. If you have to pick one get the big one - it still works on day hunts too.  Overall I?ve put it through the paces and it?s held up great through rain, snow and heavy pack outs at 100lb range.

The only thing I?m considering now is an ultra bag to go a bit lighter and have less pockets to lose stuff in. But I?d still go with the pro frame if you went that route from the start.

The other pack I?ve seen in action is the kifaru which is great as well but I can say that I haven?t regretted going with kuiu over that one at any point in time.

Here it is last year with two boned out quarters, neck and other trimmings, back strap, and rack along with day hunting gear. 

fdbf55fe5881cc38bdf3f69e15eae609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kuiu pack for me  Or exo. I picked up a MR Metcalf this afternoon. Their bombproof reputation and the $100 difference from the exo was the deciding factor, along with actually being able to see it in person, handle it and try it on. Now to figure out all these straps and buckles. I swear these things should come with a user manual. But I'll have plenty of time to work it out. Here in North Dakota,  the snow is finally melting (for the FIRST time anyways), so weighted pack hiking is just around the corner!

arik1 said:
No kuiu pack for me  Or exo. I picked up a MR Metcalf this afternoon. Their bombproof reputation and the $100 difference from the exo was the deciding factor, along with actually being able to see it in person, handle it and try it on. Now to figure out all these straps and buckles. I swear these things should come with a user manual. But I'll have plenty of time to work it out. Here in North Dakota,  the snow is finally melting (for the FIRST time anyways), so weighted pack hiking is just around the corner!

Check out YouTube. There are quite a few video reviews on the Metcalf pack that show different ways to use all the buckles and straps  :upthumb:

I have been running the ultra 3000 (also the 5200 in Alaska)  from kuiu for 5 years. I've hunted and hauled out dozens of animals (bear, elk, caribou, and deer) over the years with no issues.  This year I had an issue with the chest strap becoming torn (after an epic fall).  Kuiu stood by their product and replaced my ultra suspension with an icon pro suspension....for free. Great customer service. I requested the icon pro suspension because it is better situated for hauling meat. 
My other 2 hunting partners run Stone Glacier and EXO. I would say that the Stone Glacier and Kuiu packs feel identical under load.  I put on the EXO and it felt a little more comfortable with the 80lb load than my Kuiu ultra. I can't speak for the Icon pro suspension but I'm hoping it is as comfy as that EXO because that thing was money loaded.       

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back