Learned the Hard Way

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
I have been a longtime rifle hunter but just took up archery a year and a half ago. I was fortunate to have a very good shooter help me through the process and pick my stuff out. He also helped me learn to tune my bow.

It didn't take long until I was shooting tight groups out past 70 yards. Needless to say, I was thrilled! However, as soon as I put broadheads on, everything would fall apart. I constantly struggled to get my field points to hit with the broadheads and spent a ton of time tuning and re-tuning. My arrows were right on the borderline of being under spined according to Gold Tip's charts, but my arrow flight didn't really represent an under spined arrow.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought the same arrows with a stiffer spine. I haven't been shooting near as much as I should be this time of year, so needless to say I am thrilled with these results. Here is field tips at 40 yards:

Attachments

• IMG_1947 (1).JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 18
Here was the first broadhead shot at 30 yards:

Attachments

• IMG_1948 (1).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 17
And here's 40 yards with a broadhead and field tip:

Attachments

• IMG_1949 (1).JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 17
As I said, I am thrilled with these results. It's a little frustrating to know that I spent all those hours tuning and re-tuning only to have it be an issue with using the wrong arrows. I guess that's one way to really learn how to tune a bow!

Hopefully this will save someone from making the same mistake!

I shoot the 300 gold tips Derek and they are great arrows.
Glad you have everything worked out!

Great shooting Derek...

I put on a new string and bushings in the cams this year. I have had to start from scratch tuning. It is starting to come together. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back