looking for help: non baiting methods for spring bears.

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
I live in MT and unfortunately cannot bait bears due to state regs.  I've never actually focused on filling a bear tag.  What are good tactics to catch bears with archery equip in the spring?  I will be hunting in good bear country with a dense population of bear.  I figure I'll get up high and glass on southern slopes for movement as well as moving through fresh growth bottoms looking for sign etc...  What else can a guy do to add odds in his favor?

Not my info, but from a different site............

Go to areas where the elk and deer have their young. Bears know these areas also and will be near by looking for easy protein. Set up so your back is protected and call with fawn in distress calls. If a bear it within ear shot they will come in quite aggressively to it and why you want your back protected. Fawn bleats and distress bawls are deadly for bear in the spring. We call in bears all the time when trying to take care of problem yotes all through spring and summer. Big ones and they come in fast and right at the call many times.

Thanks for the tips.  I went and got a cottontail distress call the other day and am planning on putting myself up in a tree to call from so I don't get a surprise visitor.  Might help the sound carry a bit as well.  Sounds like I'll have a buddy to go with at times as well now so if I'm ground bound he can watch the approach i can't see. 

I agree with ghost, that's what's worked for me. I like the fawn or calf calls. I found that it helps to locate a bear first then start calling. I haven't had to much luck dry calling. Hope this helps. Best of luck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back