Low end gear?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Seems like everyone will only post about the high priced gear they use. Granted the high end stuff is the best, but what about low end gear that works?
I like the Merrell hiking boots that are light weight. I go to local "Goodwill" stores and find Merino Wool sweaters that sell for $4. I layer them when hunting. You can find some nice dull greens, grays and browns. I have purchased several daypacks, not because they're tearing apart, but because I keep finding one I like better. I have bought poly tarps and used them as shelters, that work fine.

Anyone got any low end gear that they consider good enough to use? 

I hardly ever comment on footwear threads anymore because I generally use lightweight hiking boots with great results. Most people don't like to hear that it seems  :D

I would say most of my stuff is lower end clothing for hunting. I worry more about the layers I have on underneath. As long as I have stuff that repels the rain I'm good. It also has to be quiet. Once in a while I find something brand name that is on super sale but I have so much stuff now I really do not need any more clothing. But it's still hard to resist sometimes ;)

lol I shed hunted and elk hunted in Merrell Barefoot shoes last year when it was dry... You can't even feel they are on and they are extremely quiet when walking around in all the loud stuff. I got made fun of a lot but my feet were never tired. I loved them.

I can relate to this...broke as a joke these days.  I found an awesome frame pack for $25 at goodwill. 
I got some Medalist Silvermax base layers and Field & Stream stuff on sale for really cheap and it has served me well over the years. 
I also check the clearance racks and outlet site at REI for deals on boots (haven't paid more than $60 and if I have issues, REI takes everything back). 
Got my first bow at Dicks for $150 off the sticker price because it was a demo bow (new strings and a tuning and it was ready to go).
I'm always checking Craigslist for deals, sometimes you can get some amazing deals (found an awesome pelican bow case for $25).
Happy Hunting!

Heck my dad hunts in a pair of jeans and layers his shirts. He isn't wilderness hunting, just hicking out from the truck. Play the wind well and wear what your comfortable in.

I think its funny how people will purchase all new stuff every year because it is supposedly better then last years stuff. I have the same gloves I have been using for probably 15 , hey, they still work so why not use them. I like comfy!!!

I've been a mechanic and construction worker in the beginning bought cheaper tools have been burnt to many times on cheap junk tools I am a true believer in you get what you pay for so I don't mind paying more for quality but on the other hand I want it to last for years I do not update ever year just updated everything the last two year clothes and archery equipment my other stuff was 13 years old

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back