Midday hunts

randle

Feb 19, 2014
We  usually hunt morning and evenings and the midday is spent at camp , napping, gathering firewood, (Maybe not this Year), or going out hunting grouse.
I just watched Grittybowman with Corey on there and he talked about his favorite set would be midday bull bugling from bed . I wonder if i am missing out not being in the woods more at midday.
What has been your experience? do you like to stay out during the heat of the day?

It's hard not to head back to camp for midday but I try to stay with them and be close to where the bed. If weather is not to hot it will surprise you how early in the evening they will start to move sometimes. Good luck

I like the midday hunt , Its easier to sneak in on them when they are bedded , they will usually bed facing one of 2 directions and makes it easier to sneak in  behind them, and if you  call after you get close quit often the bull will get up and circle around the herd to check on them giving you that shot opportunity. 

Lets just say you have a 10 day trip planned with 2 days of travel from home to camp, round trip and camp set up and tear down. You now have 8 days to hunt.  8 days broken into 16 hunts with mornings and evenings. Now then, factor in your shooting opportunities; If you hunt with a partner and are playing fair and square, you get 8 times up to bat, and the same for him or her. One of you shoots an elk, and you spend 1- 2 days packing said elk out. Now you are down to 6-7 hunts. This doesnt leave a lot of room for error, such as weather patterns that fowl things up or other hunters in a spot you intended to hunt. Lets say the bugling is decent. You here 10 bulls bugle, and call in 5 within bow range. How many times have you had a bull within bow range and things go south because- he sees you, smells you, hears you, or for some unforeseen reason he just spooks and you dont get a shot?

The point is- You wait a whole year to do something you love. The odds are dramatically stacked against you. Pack a lunch and extra water. Take a nap on the hillside, and hunt from dark to dark. Hanging around camp and gathering firewood is for camping in the summer with the family. Hunt hard and hunt long, leave every ounce of energy you have on the mountain and go back to home and to work so you can rest up. Usually you cant kill an elk from a lawn chair in camp  ;D

Oh yeah and the best reason; we have called in herd bulls during the "Mid-day Madness" period for years. :)

Hey thanks Dirk , but that lawn chair is so comfy .  I like the way you think.  I have planned a 9 day hunt and midday is on for this year . Going to try some new places to.

I've called most of my bulls in over the years between 11 am and 3 pm.  As far as I'm concerned, you can take the morning and evening hunts to collect firewood and nap!
Just like what has been said...stay close to the heard.  Wait for the bull to get up and stretch/bugle.  Move in and make your play! you won't be disappointed...

With NM's 5 hunts I don't head back to camp til dark. Usually hunt all day,but will take a nap with lunch and it's in the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back