Mimic the bull?

Mark Z

Jan 17, 2013
My first archery bull took us hours to call in. He juts kept moving his few cows. He finally came in when my son mimic'd him perfectly. I've tried that several times since, but have not had success. One time deal?

No i wouldnt say a one time deal, probably maybe one in every ten bulls.  Im sure you will have no problem smokin a bull this year.

I have heard a lot of people say to mimic what a bull is doing, it can work and it might not. the trick is to try and figure out what his situation is. Does he have cows or not, is he headed to his bed, is he in his bed...there are so many scenarios to work with so understand what he is saying and what his situation might be and you will know more what to say back and have much better luck.

I agree with Fullabull.... You just never know what he is up to so throw the whole bag of tricks at him at see which works.

I don't necessarily try and mimic a bull but you do have to get a feel for how agressive he is.  If a bull hammers immediately on your call with some attitude I will use the challenge bugle on him.  If he is more timid and it is hard to get him to answer a call I have found that more often than not a Challenge bugle will run him off so I will try to coax him in with cow calls and small bull bugles.  Last year we had a bull that was very agressive and we knew he had cows, we sneaked within about 80 yards of him and his herd and I threw out 2 cow calls he bugled and I threw a challenge bugle over the top of him, he came in on a string.

ElkManDan said:
I don't necessarily try and mimic a bull but you do have to get a feel for how agressive he is.  If a bull hammers immediately on your call with some attitude I will use the challenge bugle on him.  If he is more timid and it is hard to get him to answer a call I have found that more often than not a Challenge bugle will run him off so I will try to coax him in with cow calls and small bull bugles.  Last year we had a bull that was very agressive and we knew he had cows, we sneaked within about 80 yards of him and his herd and I threw out 2 cow calls he bugled and I threw a challenge bugle over the top of him, he came in on a string.

Agree 100% on this one. The biggest key is knowing what the bull has with him and how big he is. This can make the difference in what you do and how aggressive to be.The problem is we don't always have that luxury of seeing him before setting up.

If you want to mimic a bull only do it by cutting him off before he finishes his bugle.  Most of the time a bull that bugles is the herd bull and will run 90% of the time making for a race.  It is a better bet to let the bull bugle and sneak in on him with stealth and shot him unaware.

That would be a cool video!!!I usually try everything i know how to do and eventually something will be the trigger!!

I am going to go the other direction on this one, as my experience has shown they often times dont like being mimicd....if they rake, i rake, if they grunt, i cut them off with grunts, if they scream, i cut them off with screams....doesn't always work as nothing does, but it has worked enough through the years that i will continue that pattern for most encounters.

Sometimes I will mimic a bull. Most often when I get in within the magic zone I will cut him off, and it works very well. Something just switches in their brains..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back