Mouth calls

cgsmith

Dec 28, 2012
Going to order some elk calls to start practicing.  How difficult is it to master mouth calls for elk?  I've been calling turkeys since I was about 12, but didn't know if there a big difference in turkey and elk calling.

Also, what are some good videos for learning "what to say" to the elk? 

If you have that much experience with turkey calling, elk should be pretty natural, though chuckles and grunts takes PRACTICE.  I would recommend Elknut's DVDs--Worse than Wolves as the definitive instructional video.

I got elknuts mastering the mouth and reed and it was helpful but like people tell me practice,practice,practice.

If you do alright with a turkey mouth call you will do just fine with an elk diaphragm. Practice, practice, practice.

Reeds are not for everyone, some people can figure them out , others not so much or cant quit gagging. Definately check out elknuts stuff !!!

You might starting with a sonic dome like what primos has. Easiest ones to use for beginners. With your turkey experience thoough im sure you will catch on quick.

I use diaphrams the most. I get the smaller ones because for some reason the I cant get the bigger diaphrams to work right. But I do like open reeds too. For me I don't have to work as hard to get the right sounds.

They are really not that hard to figure out specially if you are use to calling turkey's. Although I wish they were not so expensive so you can try all the different models out there.

You should have no trouble at all. I agree the chuckles take some extra practice, since you need to get your more of your chest and throat more involved. Biggest difference between elk and turkeys will becomae apparent went that elk is charging at you..LOL
Cow calls will come easy also once you learn their sounds. That sentence makes me think of one other reference, it seems turkey calls has a lot more to do with sequence, where elk is more "sequence and tone" important. Just my thoughts....

Do whatever it takes to learn, they are worth whatever it takes to have your hands free at the moment of truth.  Like everyone says since you have used a turkey it really shouldn't be too tough for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back