Mouth Calls

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
I am new to the site and elk hunting in general, so I hope I am not asking questions that already have been covered. My first year of elk hunting started last fall when I was lucky enough to draw a once in a life time North Dakota Elk tag. With practicing for this hunt I used the External mouth pieces for bugles and easier calls like mouth reeds. After one season I am hooked to say the least. I have been trying out several mouth reeds and calling techniques. Most of the time I am researching I read that everyone places the plate right behind their teeth. This is no where near where I place the call and develop sounds. I place it further back in my mouth. I guess what I am getting at is, Does this affect my calling and the sounds I will make? I am having a hard time with a locator bugle using mouth pieces. Grunts, Chuckles, cow mews, chirps......I can handle these types of calls pretty well. But any tips on placement of mouth call, or trim the call to fit easier and block air? This is not an easy question to answer I'm sure, but in the mean time just keep going with trial and error?

Thanks in advance and crossing my fingers on a NR tag in MT.

I dont put a reed right up between my teeth either. They dont stay. What I have done is found a place far enough foward that I dont gag on it! It also seems that certain reeds sit better then others. For example, I have found that Bugling Bulls Herdmaster sits better then any other reed while bugling for me. You might try different reeds. You will probably find a reed that just fits right and works for you.

I tend to have my reed pretty far back too. All about trapping the air between it and the reed and being able to control it. Everyones mouth is a little different shape so is going to be different placements for different poeple. Best thing to do is like you said trial and error. Try recording yourself and play it back to see how it really sounds. Would also suggest trying multiple makers of reeds and styles to find one that fits your mouth. They definatly are not all the same size. I found one that I liked and cut my others to match it. Bugling Bull Game calls makes some great calls. I use Berry Game calls a lot as well.

I saw this link on another Post someone had done and it has great info that should be very helpful. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXE3klyQOk[/youtube]

Mine sits about center of mouth. I'm not the best caller but it sure seems to be about size of reed. Those smaller ones are harder for me to get the right sound. The bigger ones are no problem but take practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back