New pack

bcsportsman

Mar 23, 2018
I?m gathering gear for my first elk hunt. And I?m curious on how to pick the right pack for me. My first time out I plan on camping from my truck or at least fairly close to it. So any suggestions on how to do this.

A lot depends on your budget. Even with camping at a truck, a pack that can carry a load out is definitely helpful. The Exo packs get nothing but fantastic reviews, but they are on the high end of the budget. I?ve got a Horn Hunter Full Curl and it?s decent for the price.

Bottom line, if you can afford the Exo, do it. If not, there?s other options.

Well I haven?t figured my budget for the pack yet but I?m more curious on sizing of packs external/internal frames kind of things. When I started looking into them kind of overwhelmed with all the different sizes and options there is to packs. I got an academy brand pack for whitetail. And I?m not sure if it can handle a week long hunt.

The EXO K3500 hit all the marks for me. Best all around pack I have. I hope you?re using the pack next season. Kinda late to be fitting a new pack for this year. It takes time to fit and test to make sure it works for you.

My intentions are for next season. But I?m  looking now because with people buying them using them and then deciding to change packs I?m hoping I can get one at a really good deal. Just trying to figure out what kind, size, fit etc I need.

The EXO packs are some of the best money can buy but are expensive.

A really good option for a Daypack is the Badlands 2200. I used it my first 3 years for backpack hunts as well. I've been able to squeeze out enough space for 3 nights using that pack and packing carefully. It also has a really nice meat shelf and holds weight very well. You can find them relatively cheap on Amazon, used, etc.

I had an Exo K3500. I sold it and switched to a Stone Glacier Sky 5900 with Xcurve frame.

I was never quite comfortable in the Exo and always had belt slippage. The Stone Glacier was a huge upgrade in comfort for me. Absolutely no belt slippage and in day pack mode I barely notice it.  Both are fantastic packs but SG works better for me. If you do go Exo I?d also recommend sizing up to the 5500.

If you can buy a few different packs and test and return or borrow some to try them on I?d recommend doing that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jalliston said:
If you can buy a few different packs and test and return or borrow some to try them on I?d recommend doing that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well in Louisiana we don?t get to many elk hunters. Especially people who will buy better stuff. So I?m kinda forced to buy one and hope it fits me right where I don?t have to try and sell it and buy another.

Also why upgrade to such a larger pack?

You have 2 options for buying a pack.  You can either buy a daypack[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] AND a packframe. Or buy 1 pack that does both. That's what most of us do.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Can't go wrong with kifaru, exo, stone glacier, kuiu. I've used them all and they all are good packs. I had a horn hunter once but it squeaked too much for me but my buddy doesn't have that problem.[/font]

montanaelk31 said:
You have 2 options for buying a pack.  You can either buy a daypack[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] AND a packframe. Or buy 1 pack that does both. That's what most of us do.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Can't go wrong with kifaru, exo, stone glacier, kuiu. I've used them all and they all are good packs. I had a horn hunter once but it squeaked too much for me but my buddy doesn't have that problem.[/font]
Is that why I should buy a 5500 or something similar?

Sorry for all these questions just trying to make the right investment.

No, not necessarily.  All the packs I mentioned have a load sling, meaning when you kill something, you load the meat into your game bags, then the meat fits between the frame and the bag. I run a 3000 bag, but have carried 100 lb in the load sling.

All three Exo packs (2000,3500 and 5500) all use the same frame and suspension belt. The bags are interchangeable. Or you can use just the frame and the meat sling/crib and no bag. You can buy one frame and different bags.

Lots of great packs out there. Like mentioned the Exo?s are popular, stone glacier also.. I wear a Kifaru 22 mag for day hunting and love it. Most comfortable pack I have used. Like the Exo the frame can be used with a wide range of their bags if you wanted options.

Those are some of the higher end brands and most expensive. Probably can?t go wrong with any of them.  talk to the companies about getting sized correctly . Makes a diffference. You can look at badlands, mystery ranch also to name a few others. Everyone has a favorite, the best is what works for you and your budget.

Not even considered by many but the US Molle 2 pack is a doable option. I got one from a web app a few years ago for $40. I have made some adjustments for hunting such as removing the large side pouches, which I use inside the pack for stuffing gear. You can buy a lot of add on bags that fastens to the Molle system. If you need to haul meat out the two top straps can be unbuckled and the side straps loosened. The pack will fall away from the frame but stay attached at the bottom. Put the meat between pack and frame and use the side straps to tighten it all back tight. Carrying meat between the pack and frame seems to be a common thing now. I also sewed a piece of velcro inside and at the top of the pack. It allows attaching the water bladder inside. I am considering rigging the bladder between pack and frame. It is a few pounds heavier than a high priced pack but it has been used by many military folks and has been tested. I have carried several elk out with the pack and 100 lbs of meat feels like 100 lbs of meat regardless of what pack you use. I have also began using it as a daypack so if an elk gets put down I have the meat hauling ability with me. I actually shot my elk this year wearing the pack. If I was to invest in a pack it would be the EXO but for my seasonal hunt the Molle works fine with some adjustments.

If you can?t afford 6-700$ I?d say go mystery ranch.  However if you can then I?d suggest either a stone glacier, exo, or kifaru system.  With that said I cannot speak to the SG, or exo.  I?ve only owned kifaru and the reason was very clear.  Customization is where this company shines.  The amount of different configurations you can run any bag you choose is endless.  This is why I chose them.  I hunt from the truck and only need a day pack for my hunting and so I bought the Apollo with no other attachments.  I used this pack for both bow season and rifle season and it worked great.  I packed two elk out with this pack this year.  One solo and one with my neighbor and it worked like I expected it to.  In the end half the fun is researching what YOU desire in a pack, and what configuration YOU like.  All three of those will do a great job no doubt, they are also expensive.  All I can say is Buy once cry once!  Good luck on your hunt

Really depends on budget.  You can get a decent day pack and a separate pack frame for a few hundred dollars.  But for ultimate flexibility you can get a composite pack frame with a modular/expandable bag that is good for everything from day hikes to multi-day backpacking if you're willing to spend 2-3x as much.  I've done the former for all of my life, but this year I'm planning to buy a really nice multi-purpose lightweight pack.

I like my eberlestock f1 mainframe, with duffel and batwings pouches. It's the perfect combo for day trips or multi day trips

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back