New string break in?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
I'm going to be getting a new string in the next few weeks and it got me thinking.....
Do any of you have break in routines for a new string? Or do you just get right to shooting?

Personally I'll shoot the bow 200 times at about 10-15 yards when I get a new string put on. Then I'll verify my old pins and tweak if possible.

What do you all do?

Are you replacing cables too?  Cables are under more pressure than the string. I do about what you plan on doing. I?ll shoot a couple hundred shots before I worry about tuning.

Rzrbac said:
Are you replacing cables too?  Cables are under more pressure than the string. I do about what you plan on doing. I?ll shoot a couple hundred shots before I worry about tuning.

Yes sir! Strings and cables! :upthumb:
I've got to get it broken in before turkey season starts.  :mg:

Glad you wrote this, because I literally just got new strings. (due to reasons I wont get into  :-X ) I am still planning on using my other bow though until this last part of deer season is up. When i get to tuning my bow again I'll probably grab some more opinions from here.

Go to Bowtuningtips.com and click on the word (videos) in the upper left corner and you will find over 100 videos on how to tune and set up a bow. This guy really knows his stuff!

Be sure to take all the measurements he talks about on your old string before you take it off. After you put the new one on, take 20-30 shots to settle it in and then re-measure. This should put you right back where you were.

Dan
What brand did you go with?
I?ve used Winners Choice & 60X in the past and they didn?t move at all.

cnelk said:
Dan
What brand did you go with?
I?ve used Winners Choice & 60X in the past and they didn?t move at all.

I havent picked one yet.... I'm boring and usually just get the stock ones that go on mathews. I think they are zebra something?
I guess I've never really looked into custom strings before!

Haven?t put on a set of 60X yet, more than likely next time. WC on both the E35s and just put a new set of VaperTrail on my Answer. Had very good luck with them.

The latest set my son is using are by Rogue. I believe they offer a military discount. They seem to be holding up well for him and he?s very picky. He?s put a lot of shots on this set as his tournaments kick off this month.

i just go for it.  i tie in the peep and everything and just start shooting.

i do use a dark pencil and mark where strings or cables cross the cams.  that and/or peep rotation will tell me if anything moved from string stretch.

i dont ever remember anything moving.

I like to blank bale roughly 100 shots or so without a peep then I seperate string and tie in peep and tune.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back