New to Elk101 - Stolen trail camera

Freemachz

Jul 9, 2016
Hi all,
I live in Northern Utah, archery hunt a wildlife mgt unit in Morgan as well as OTC tags for deer/elk in the Bear River Zone, in Idaho (first year in Idaho).
Someone was kind enough to steal my game camera up on the Morgan WMU - scumbags.
Do you guys all use the camera cage/locks or chance it?  I thought that was pretty taboo to steal someones hunting gear...what do I know.

There are always those 10% who are the bad apples.  I hate thieves - just doesn't make sense to me.  Don't know how they can look in the mirror knowing the character that resides in them. 
I too had a trail camera stolen.  They probably will never get caught, but the man upstairs sees everything.  Sorry to hear about your camera.  I lock mine up now.

I had a treestand stolen on private property. They either missed the camera or were going to get it later. Anyway I checked the camera the same day the stand was stolen and got the guys picture. I opened a case with the police department and posted his picture in all the local sporting goods stores. He called and returned my stand in a couple of days. I didn't press charges but I wish I had now. He pretty well messed up that area for that season for me.

ribo451 said:
I had a treestand stolen on private property. They either missed the camera or were going to get it later. Anyway I checked the camera the same day the stand was stolen and got the guys picture. I opened a case with the police department and posted his picture in all the local sporting goods stores. He called and returned my stand in a couple of days. I didn't press charges but I wish I had now. He pretty well messed up that area for that season for me.
Fantastic story, with a  good outcome.  I called Utah DWR, they essentially laughed.  It's bad enough how far you have to hike to get into decent areas, to get there and see guys on horseback stole your gear, infuriating!

You can't trust that people won't steal the camera if they find it. It's like stapling a $100 bill to a tree in a remote area of the backcountry and being surprised that someone took it.

I buy climbing hooks and put the camera >= 10 Ft up the tree. In high traffic areas I will put a locking cable on the camera.

If the camera is above eye level it is unlikely to be seen unless someone is looking up every tree or it flashes at them when walking a trail in the dark. If I expect a lot of people to be mulling around the area the camera is located I will lock it up. That way if people are even able to find it they need climbing spikes and a bolt cutter or a chainsaw to cut the tree down and steal it.

thisIsKristopher said:
You can't trust that people won't steal the camera if they find it. It's like stapling a $100 bill to a tree in a remote area of the backcountry and being surprised that someone took it.

I buy climbing hooks and put the camera >= 10 Ft up the tree. In high traffic areas I will put a locking cable on the camera.

If the camera is above eye level it is unlikely to be seen unless someone is looking up every tree or it flashes at them when walking a trail in the dark. If I expect a lot of people to be mulling around the area the camera is located I will lock it up. That way if people are even able to find it they need climbing spikes and a bolt cutter or a chainsaw to cut the tree down and steal it.

Yeah, I was thinking archery hunters were a lot like Snowmobilers...ethical, hard-working, trust worthy...lol  I do like the point about getting up high enough where they can't reach the camera.  I have screw in steps or portable steps I could use...Thanks for the tip.
Last pic from my low-lying, close to civilization game camera :)

Attachments

• 13700162_10209982841874311_2754638416788905310_n.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 2
Climbing steps are a good idea then put a stick behind it to aim it down. I just started putting cameras out this year, and decided to set up cables + bearbox + padlock. Someone can steal it if they really want it, but it's going to be a pain in the butt to do!

Freemachz said:
Yeah, I was thinking archery hunters were a lot like Snowmobilers...ethical, hard-working, trust worthy...lol
Many hunters are ethical, hard-working, and trust worthy and will leave a camera where it is. But many others...like I said, a game camera is a hundred dollar bill (or more) attached to a tree in the middle of nowhere. Some people can't resist that temptation and when one runs many cameras one expects to lose some to theft.

Freemachz said:
I do like the point about getting up high enough where they can't reach the camera.  I have screw in steps or portable steps I could use...Thanks for the tip.
Make sure you check the camera angle before you walk off and that the camera is getting the shots at correct angles. Also please be safe: I don't wear a harness but I do tie myself to the tree with some rope so I don't just fall backwards off the steps.
Freemachz said:
Last pic from my low-lying, close to civilization game camera :)
Nice pic! Bring home some meat!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back