okay, i bought something ridiculous..a plow disc.haha.

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
(one of my greatest loves is cooking and eating.)

i saw one of these when i was younger.  a bunch of hispanic dudes pulled out this cool pan and started cooking things.  they were construction workers.  okay, they started cooking tripitas (pig intestines i think)..they tasted like a barn floor..but the pan burned into my brain.

decades later, i finally got one.  i thought i would make one, but after i factored in the cost of material, fire damage to my home, repairing my electrical system after the overload, my Emergency room Copay, etc..it figured buying one for $45 bucks was the better idea.

i got the pan yesterday!!  it is a plow disc with the center axle hole welded shut and handles added.  it shallower than a wok, so it is more closely related to a griddle or paella pan.  it weighs 18lbs or so..very dense.  i am so ready for Cinco De Mayo!!  but i am also ready for ELK CAMP!!  this thing can do most anything, except boil water.  i bought the smallest version, since 99% of the time i will just be cooking for the wife and myself.  i could make tacos for a camp full of men. (and women).

tada!!  (i seasoned it better last night, it's hanging next to my wok)

Those look so cool. I've wanted to do one before, but I don't know how to weld. It's too bad because I have like eight plow discs just sitting in my garage.

cohunter14 said:
Those look so cool. I've wanted to do one before, but I don't know how to weld. It's too bad because I have like eight plow discs just sitting in my garage.

you are kidding me?  i ran around some farms and people looked at me like i was "special".

i cant weld either,..well, i can stick two pieces of steel together,but i wouldnt call it welding.

get someone to weld it for you!!  tradition is to use two horseshoes as handles.  i didnt what that..way to S-kicker for me. :)  i think filling the hole in the middle would be tough for me.

It's a long story, but I have a disc plow for my ATV and when I bought it, they gave me two sets of discs. One set fits the plow and one doesn't. The only issue is they are painted black, but that would be easy to fix.

cohunter14 said:
It's a long story, but I have a disc plow for my ATV and when I bought it, they gave me two sets of discs. One set fits the plow and one doesn't. The only issue is they are painted black, but that would be easy to fix.

cool!!  you could turn 6 of them into long range target gongs!!  hahha..

You're going to love it Cliff. 

Defending us S-kickers in the South - I love the horseshoe handles and don't get too hot!

Mine was home built by a guy who I hunted on the same lease years ago.  Don't recall his name but initials are TJ.  He referred to it as a Cowboy Wok.  He also explained the differences in disc shapes but honestly don't recall the why's.

The one he built for me is a deeper dish than the other I show in the picture.  I could weld over the hole and add handles but have used it as a lid when simmering green chile.  Only problem I encountered was it getting too hot so I had someone weld on those bolts around my turkey fryer to keep up off the flames.

Can't wait to see pics of what you cook on it!

I scanned through the thread quick but what exactly are these for? Cooking I assume. But over a campfire type of setup?  Looks interesting

colorado russ said:
You're going to love it Cliff. 

Defending us S-kickers in the South - I love the horseshoe handles and don't get too hot!

Mine was home built by a guy who I hunted on the same lease years ago.  Don't recall his name but initials are TJ.  He referred to it as a Cowboy Wok.  He also explained the differences in disc shapes but honestly don't recall the why's.

The one he built for me is a deeper dish than the other I show in the picture.  I could weld over the hole and add handles but have used it as a lid when simmering green chile.  Only problem I encountered was it getting too hot so I had someone weld on those bolts around my turkey fryer to keep up off the flames.

Can't wait to see pics of what you cook on it!

No disrespect with my s kicker remark. I?m sad I cant pull it off :).

Your setup is sick!  Nice trick with the spacers. That is straight up genius.

K. Yes. These are essentially cook ?griddles?. The heat source it up to the user. A body  has one with nuts welded to the bottom so he can screw in bolt legs. He just shovels coals from the nearby fire as a heat source. He made the odd but super filling pancake. I think he called them ?Ho-cakes?. I assumed they were cooked on a farmers Ho back in the day. It was like a corn pancake.

In El Paso, the Mexican community had giant ones. They fried fish even. But mostly it was cooking huge piles of meat for tacos.

I had a guy explain the disc as well. There is a sharp edge one...starts with an ?H?.

I got super overloaded with info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back