Picking a Unit

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
Well, it's back to the drawing board for me this year and I am in search of a new unit to hunt in Colorado after my difficult rifle season. I figured why not post up some of the ideas I am using and share them. If anyone else has other suggestions or ideas, feel free to add them in as well!

To start, I had some basic criteria that I wanted to meet including the following:
- Driving distance from home: I live in Colorado, but I want my new hunting area to be in an area that I can get to in a decent amount of time. The closer it is, the more time I'll get to spend there both scouting and during hunting season.
- The ability to hunt the unit in both archery and rifle seasons every year: I have hunted different units the last couple of years for each hunt and that doesn't make much sense to me anymore. The more time spent in the same area, the quicker you learn it. For me, there is no reason to pick an area that I can't hunt every single year.

By doing both of these things, I quickly eliminated a bunch of units.

The next step, although I don't typically put much weight in it, is to look at the harvest statistics. I know these are a scientific guess at best and at worse they are no more than a guess, but it's at least something else to consider. I like looking at more than one year as the numbers can vary significantly from one year to another. Three years seems to give you a pretty good average or idea of what is going on.

The next thing I am going to look at is the terrain of each unit. I personally want to find a spot that fits the way I like to hunt, which is spot and stalk. If I pick a unit that has no good areas to glass from, it doesn't do me a whole lot of good. I also need to keep in mind that we have a couple of hunters in our group who are getting up there in age, so I cannot put them in some crazy steep or brutal terrain. Other things to look at include pine beetle kill areas and the effect it's having on the areas, recent wildfires, and I am also looking at how close areas are to major cities or towns. The easier it is for people to access the area, the more crowded it will get.

That's where I am at for now. I currently have 25 units I am considering, which is a big cut down from the starting point, but still a ways to go. Of those 25, I definitely have a few in mind already that might be a fit and I've been doing some digging on them already. If things fall into place correctly, I might even be out scouting one of these areas before the rifle seasons are done.

Any other thoughts on what to consider? Anything I am missing?

Do you want the option of a B List cow tag?

Do you want OTC or 0-1 PP units?

I'm open to List B cow tags. In an ideal world, I would have the choice each year of a cow for archery and bull for rifle or an either sex tag for archery and cow for rifle. The big thing is I'm trying to make sure that if it's a draw unit, I can still get a tag for both seasons. I know things change constantly in that regard, but it's my goal for now  ;-)

Derek
Based on your previous hunting years, you have a large truck camp that you hunt out of - yes?

Is that your preferred way you want keep doing it?

Yeah, we camp where we have vehicle access. I don?t have any interest in changing that as of now.

BrentLaBere said:
Is elevation a factor?
Not in picking a unit. If there are elk there, I'll hunt it. I've hunted and seen elk from 4,000 feet to well over 11,000 feet in Colorado during archery and rifle seasons.

Same boat here.  I'm going back to an OTC unit I hunted three years in a row when I first moved out here.  It's less than 4 hours drive from the home stead, has good access which can support the trailer hauling my (Evil  :twisted: )ATV's.  It has east, west, north and south facing terrain, with some high vantage points (easy to get to on LEGAL ATV roads / trails). Elevation ranges from about 8500 to maybe 11000.

It also has road access to the wilderness boundary (Only use the truck on it when dry, other wise ATV), which holds a boat load of elk. From there I have several directions to choose from ranging from dropping down in the the wilderness area, to talking a fairly level road for a couple of miles, or climbing up (notice it's my last choice)

But those benefits also make it attractive to other hunters.  Fortunately, most only hunt the first few days of archery / ML.  And most of those will not go much further than a mile from the main road, leaving lots of room to roam.

Plus it normally has B rifle elk tags for second season.

Really a nice spot, looking forward to heading out next July or so to start scouting.

Follow the elk. We hunt a specific season and area based on the seasonal pattern of the elk. The only variable is if the weather pattern drops snow in the weeks before we hunt. They are not there in the numbers we see in the earlier seasons. Moderate elevation and able to use my quad to get back to where I need to be. Situated in a massive piece of public land.

Here's a decent map that shows where most of the affected areas are:

ChangesBeetleMaps2002.2011_1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back