Plans for 2019...

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
It's never too early to start planning for next year's hunt! What are your plans for next year? Will you be trying a new area or going to the same spot? Anything different you are going to do next year compared to this year? Let's hear it! Feel free to fire away with questions you have in planning for next year as well.

I got an email reminder from the Alaska F&G that the application process is now open.

That makes for some good food for thought again....

cnelk said:
I got an email reminder from the Alaska F&G that the application process is now open.

I like where this is going

Looking at Colorado, Montana or Wyoming as an out of state hunt for elk in addition to home state of Idaho.  Even Idaho may be a different zone as the last 3 years hunts have each been in different zones and was successful on 2 out of 3.  I like the adventure and challenge of a new place vs. hitting the same place year after year.

Since I can't apply for Elk in the 1st application period since I drew this year I'll probably apply for Moose.

Apply for rifle pronghorn as 1st choice and archery as second choice.

I'll need to look at the controlled mule deer hunts and see if there is one that interests me.  If I draw a moose tag I'll just do whitetail tag with it since I'd be in North Idaho, otherwise I'll just do the late archery mule deer hunt in November.

Put in for Nevada archery deer.

Could be a busy 2019 if it all comes together.

Elk is still up in the air,  but I should be good to draw an Iowa deer tag in 2019!

cnelk said:

:think: :think: :think: ? :dance2:

Well in 2019 I will not be chasing elk. I will be cashing in my Iowa points and hunting there and at home for Whitetail. One of my boys called last week and is going to get married end of September. So with helping out with the cost of the wedding, and heading out to CO for a week or two for everything I'm bypassing elk to keep the family happy.

2020 I will be headed west somewhere!

Bank points in Arizona, spend my annual application fee to NM. Wyoming will be the top location in ?19. Depending on how that goes and available time, might do a Southern Colorado elk hunt.
Wait, I?ll be retired, so time isn?t an issue!

I've got 5 elk pp for CO and am thinking about cashing those in for an Archery tag, just don't know where yet.

Other than that I'll look to get another Cow tag, and likely a Muley tag in CO. May try for some pronghorn in WY and as always going back to hunt with my Dad in the Midwest for Whitetail.

Good post Derek as I've been contemplating my elk situation actually since moving from CO a year and a half ago and more recently after paying for an out of state tag this fall.

At what point is the tipping scale for spending too much for a hunt?  I know that's a "relative" question as resources vary greatly between each person.  I'm fortunate to have access to private land in SW CO and taken 270-310" bulls with bow and rifle along with spikes and a cow.  But, with out of state tag, lease fee, motel, gas and processor the cost is over $2000.  Add in taxidermy for a shoulder mount and it's $3000.  This is about as much as I want to spend each year for hunting.

So, do I keep paying that each year for elk or start funneling that money over for various hunts - Canada bear, caribou, etc...?

I should be able to find a great lease in Oklahoma for whitetails and hogs for half that amount even though I currently have a place to hunt.

Oklahoma for whitetails and hogs.  ?? on what else for 2019.

New to the forums, and elk hunting, but have chased whitetail since I could hunt.  Finally pulled the trigger and started to plan a hunt for my bother and I next year.  Right now I have it narrowed down to a few OTC units, being neither of us have points.  I plan on doing this every other year or every 3 years until I can't anymore.  Life is too short to not enjoy it.  I am not worried about the archery part of it, what I am worried about is the figuring out which unit to pick.  I've been on gohunt and onx for the last month or two and may have it narrowed down.  We are planning on doing an archery elk hunt some time in september.  I have to be home the 15th (daughters birthday) but am thinking either the 10 days prior or the 10 days after.  Being from Minnesota I don't hike mountain a lot......lol, but have been hitting the stairmaster a lot with my pack on.  Hoping for the best next fall.  Any elk will do for my first time out, but after that I will be a little more picky.  Finally caught up with a buck that I've been chasing for 3 years this fall, so I am not to worried about deer back home. 

Thanks for any info. 
Jeremy

Welcome to the site Jeremy and welcome to the addiction of elk hunting  :upthumb:

Let us know if any questions come up along the way.

oh i'm sure I will.  Between gohunt, onx, and the online course i may need a few months for the info to sink in.  I have a few zones in mind, but am wondering how fast the NR tags sell out?  Should i plan on being a keyboard warrior on the first when they go on sale or do I have some time to decide?

Thanks
Jeremy

What state are you looking at Jeremy? Some units in Idaho have caps and sell out pretty quickly. OTC in Colorado is a free for all, or has been in the past.

After years of hunting in the same place we have decided to try a new place. we did a rifle season scouting trip to the spot we think we are going to try and found a lot of good sign. we are scouting on google earth and OnX maps. We are really excited about the new area. We are already planning a scouting & fishing trip in early July. It is great to live in a great state like Montana that gives a lot of public land to chose to hunt. I have a lot of fun planning and scouting.

jstephens61 said:
What state are you looking at Jeremy? Some units in Idaho have caps and sell out pretty quickly. OTC in Colorado is a free for all, or has been in the past.

Sorry it took so long for a reply.  I kind of forgot about the forum section of the site.  I decided on Idaho.  Looking back and the OTC zone we chose, I should have put in for the draw first then used the otc as a fall back.  I'm just trying to figure out terrain and areas now.  Hoping fornthe best.  With 5 of us going we should be able to get at least one on the ground.  Only thing I'm worried about with the dates we chose is the full moon.  I could be over-thinking things though Haha. 

Jeremy

Gonna be in Wyoming in 44 days with elk & bear tags in my pack. Have 2 months to get it done. God I love retirement!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back