Post Rut(Novemeber) Calling

w8coach

Oct 30, 2013
I have a Northwestern Colorado Bull tag for November. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas about post rut calling for bulls? I just got into archery hunting(Thanks Tony M.) and as a result got my first mule deer and love the sport. I would really love to take a bull but not sure of the tactics for this hunt. Have hasd some good advice to theis point but want to have as much info as possible so I can be successful. Thanks in advance.

Mic

Get up to a point where you can glass for moving elk.  Spot and stalk is most helpful in November in me view.  A couple cow calls when you get within ear shot of the herd can help disguise your noise on approach and put the cows at ease.  If it's a lone bull I think you're best off trying to get ahead on the path and ambush.  I have never had a bull come in to calling post rut, although I've heard of it happening.

I have heard of people hearing bugles in November, however I've never heard of any calling tactics actually working this late in the year. I would recommend gassing from a high vantage point concentrating on south facing slopes. Elk migration is starting to progress with deeper snow in the high country, so maybe get ahold of the biologist in that unit to help pinpoint their migration route. You may not always see the elk when glassing, but I bet you can find their tracks in the snow which should help find their location. Depending on the herd size and location in Colorado, it is a good possibility that the bigger bulls have already isolated themselves from the main herd and formed smaller bachelor groups. Best of luck to you!

So, because I'm a n00b I can ask these types of questions and not be further ridiculed.....  ;)

Is it generally better to simply cow call than attempt to bugle?

If the bulls are looking to breed, it seems best to this n00b to lure them in with what they're already looking for....?

Again, this is largely dependent on what time of year you call.  In November I'd recommend staying as silent and invisible as possible.  Only calling (cow calling) if you are concerned your movements are attracting attention to settle the herd into believing you're an elk moving around.  The rut is DONE in November and mature bulls are likely breaking off from the herd to go do their own thing.  You can find big bulls in the larger herds, but odds are that only the immature bulls are hanging with the big herds of cows.  In August through October Bugling is a valid option for locating rutting bulls.  Bulls were going wild mid August in MT this year.  Last bugle I heard was Oct 20 this year.  (Not to say they were all done but the rut was winding down for sure.)  When the rut is over spot and stalk is your best option. 

Just like what has been said before- I would focus on spot and stalk, or tree stand, and still hunting. Key in on the food and water. But, keep a reed in your mouth. A few reserved cow calls may attract elk your way on their way passing through. Plus if you bump them you are going to want to try to stop them with a quiet cow call.

Great advice here folks!

I don't want to rabbit-trail so maybe I'll start a new thread about call types.

I've read elsewhere that last-season calling should be, just as Montana BackCountry mentioned as a cover for clumsy movement noise and cow/calf only.

It's nice to see advice corroborated.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back