Practice during a hunt?

DTP

Administrator
Jun 13, 2017
Kind of a random question, but does anyone practice shooting during a hunt?

The reason I ask.....
If you're anything like me, you practice almost every single day leading up to a hunt.
Then we head out to the field and can spend anywhere from 5-30 days in the field chasing elk.

I personally will take a little time every few days to shoot some arrows during mid day.
It allows me to verify everything is still working well and keeps me loose!

How about you all?

I try to shoot a few arrows when i get to my hunting spot. I also do some stump shooting mid hunt or so. I shoot arrows from my tree stand before getting down for the evening or morning while deer hunting. Pick a leaf and fire.

Terry, I can see you shooting a stump and then a 150" whitetail jump out from behind it. They are behind every tree in Iowa..... ;)

I stump shoot, squirrel shoot, and grouse shoot the entire time I'm hunting. That is what is nice about bows. When you get bored you can pick something to shoot at and it doesn't scare anything.

I draw my bow in the morning to get the creeks out. But I also shoot grouse and squirrels as often as I can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We are taking a target with us on the horses this year so we can make sure its dialed in. Just in case a sight gets bumped or i fall off the horse or something.

I stump shoot during the day too.  I also have a saddle that I hike through most days and when I get to the highest spot and I'm out of breath, I pull out a blunt and shoot at the same stump every time.

I usually shoot an arrow or two at the truck before backpacking in, just to be sure it's ready to rock.

I've never shot stumps. Does that break your arrows? Same with shooting small game... I picture just about anything breaking arrows. We all know they don't come cheap. What gives?

I'm shooting a recurve with Doug Fir arrows.  If you pick the stump carefully you won't break an arrow, but every now and then...

When possible I like take my target and shoot a couple shots after the drive in to verify nothing is out of whack. But if I put in the time in the offseason, I'm not concerned about not shooting my bow for 5-7 days - muscle memory. I'm more concerned about finding the critters.

DTP said:
Terry, I can see you shooting a stump and then a 150" whitetail jump out from behind it. They are behind every tree in Iowa..... ;)
Exactly what would happen to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bull_Fighter said:
I usually shoot an arrow or two at the truck before backpacking in, just to be sure it's ready to rock.

I've never shot stumps. Does that break your arrows? Same with shooting small game... I picture just about anything breaking arrows. We all know they don't come cheap. What gives?
If your truck doesn't break an arrow you don't have to worry about a stump. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Always bring a bag target with me truck camping/hunting.

I fire a few every evening. More to make sure I didn't move anything during the mountain hikes.

I do notice at high elevations my arrow tend to hit high. Atmosphere issue I think.

Bowfreak said:
Bull_Fighter said:

If your truck doesn't break an arrow you don't have to worry about a stump. Lol!

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

They really ought to make a truck with a target built into the tailgate.

Bull_Fighter said:

;D ;D ;D

They really ought to make a truck with a target built into the tailgate.
I think you are on to something. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back