Rain Gear / Sitka Users

dpking814

Mar 15, 2018
Looking for people with specific experience with the thunderhead series or the couldburst series. The thunderhead seems like the logical purchase because it seems as if it can be worn at all times with relative comfort. The ratings for quietness are reasonable and in general it seems like its meant to be worn more than just in the rain, especially since the pack-ability is not rated very high. To me the downfall is that the thunderhead has a performance cut meaning it is designed for minimal layering. I was able to try on a thunderhead jacket and the sleeves were tight around the forearm.. nice for bow hunting but definitely no giving much room for layering..That took me to the cloudburst series.. Right off the bat they give it an N/A rating for quietness and 4/5 for pack-ability. The cloudburst is cut with a "standard" fit, which allows for moderate layering. To me the cloudburst is strictly meant for rain/snow events.Knowing this, the thunderhead still seems like the more economical/reasonable decision because it can be used for multiple occasions, not just rain.. Both options are outfitted with goretex and get 5/5 for water protection. So at this point I am asking for first hand experience with field use of these products.. I'm sure even someone with stormfront series experience could be able to give an opinion also... I guess I am looking to make sure I don't make a mistake purchasing the thunderhead series.. Another scenario I thought about is thunderhead pants with cloudburst jacket to give me room for more layering up top. Looking at 35 degree average low to 65 degree average high temps.

I recently went through this same question and was able to try both jackets on. I ended up going with the Flash Pullover instead. It is significantly lighter than the other two and although they don't say it's 100% waterproof, it will certainly keep you dry unless you are out hunting in a complete downpour. To me, that jacket just made more sense. I want something lightweight that I can keep in my pack in case it starts raining. And I don't want it to be as thick and warm as the other ones are. I feel like I'll already have whatever layers on that I need for the temperature, so I want something that I can just throw on to keep me dry. And if it's raining so hard that the Flash Pullover won't keep me dry, chances are I'm going to be huddled up under a tree anyway, so I don't ever see that being an issue. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I figured I'd throw it out there as something to think about. I noticed the Flash is also on sale in the Elk101 store right now too.  :upthumb:

I went with the Thunderhead jacket and couldn?t be happier. It is waterproof, ya a bit heavier, but waterproof!
Coming down a mountainside this spring during a storm, I was dry. Made it to the quad, 4 miles ride to the camper, I was dry.

Can?t beat the Thunderhead, I happen to use the Cloudburst...Either will work!

Thank you guys! I appreciate the help! I definitely wish there was an REI type policy out there where you can use the gear for a while and still return it if your not happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back