Reloading

B

Bull_Fighter

Just curious if anyone has any tips on getting started reloading ammo. I acquired some nice reloading equipment but it's just been taking up space in my garage and I have no idea how to use it or how to learn to use it. Aside from someone you know showing you the ropes, does anyone have any tips on how they got started with reloading ammo? I bought a book a while back and the author's picture on the back cover shows that he blew his hand off and has a prosthetic hook. I'm not sure if I trust this guy. lol  :mg:

A few questions:

What calibers are you interested in reloading?

What equipment are you outfitted in?

To me, reloading is a great way to tinker, go out and see your efforts on the range.
If you like to shoot a lot, even better.

I first started with reloading for my 243. Then I went to my 30-06. Then 22-250, then 340 Weatherby, then 270.

Read your manual and stay within the powder ranges and you'll be fine.
Stay away from the 'internet reloading cowboys'.
Keep copious notes.

You dont need fancy, high dollar bullets.

I use one brand of powder [Varget] that works in every one one of the above rifles - except the 340 WBY

One thing I learned is that you can use too much case lube. It will actually dimple the case when you do.

When I get home I'll post up a couple reloading links that I use quite a bit.

Brad made a lot of good points. Reloading is not difficult once you do it a time or two. Here's some things to learn or research:

Case Prep: even if you have a new casing, you still want to prep it. I prep any brass by spraying a little lube on the case, then running it through the de-priming/sizing die. After that, you wipe the lube off and deburr the case mouth with a deburring tool (both sides of the mouth, inside and outside). If it's used brass, you'll need to clean the primer pocket out as well.

Priming A Case: this step is very simple once the case is ready. Get a priming tool, figure out which primers you are going to use, and squeeze the primers into place. This is a simple step.

Loading: this is also a very easy step, but it's one you need to pay attention to at the same time. It's simply measuring and pouring your powder load into the casing, then seating the bullets. This is the step that can get you a prosthetic hook :laughing: Just make sure you always pay attention to your measurements and make sure you are measuring the overall length after you seat the bullet and you'll be fine. Before you get to this process, you will need to set your seating die to the correct length, FYI.

After you figure that out, then you can start the tinkering and finding the best loads for each gun, which is the fun part! As Brad said, start with lower powder charges and work your way up. I'll typically always start in the middle of the low and high load recommendation and just work up in 1/2 grain increments.

Hopefully this is helpful. When you get a chance, let us know what all you have for reloading tools. Might be able to recommend a couple of extra items that simply things :upthumb:

You are getting some great advice here. Always start at the minimal load and work up looking for pressure signs. Use a chronograph as it will tell you a lot before you even begin to see pressure signs. Speed is not all it cracked up to be. Accuracy is what puts meat in the freezer. Take your time and you will end up with a round tailored to your rifle. Important to note anytime you change a component ( primers, powder, brass, bullets) you need to back off and work back up to the load. There can be big differences using different lots of the same powder. Most of all have fun.

Here is a good example of what just a small difference in powder can do.
This is with my 270

Attachments

• 5F2C2E59-4769-47AB-B46E-E9F24A00E181.jpeg
    5F2C2E59-4769-47AB-B46E-E9F24A00E181.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 7
Chuck Hawks always has good info for everything gun related.
Here is how to adjust reloading dies

https://www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm

Here is a good reloading site from Hodgdon

- http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Once you get your velocity, use this ballistic calculator from Hornady

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

My parents got me a reloading kit for Christmas when I was in high school. It was one of the best presents I ever got. It came with a Speer reloading manual that gave excellent instructions and advice. I recommend it to anyone. It kept me from blowing myself up all these years. It's a great skill to learn. There are a lot of great bullets and powders out there that let you customize exactly what you want.

Get your hands on a manual and read the first 3rd twice.

If you have a particular bullet in mind (nosler, hornady, federal premium etc) buy one of those manuals as they will have the recipes (powder, case, primer, oal) information for those bullets. Most powder and bullet manufacturers also offer their recipes online for free but not the info. Hornady being an exception.

Personally one of the most informative I read is the Lyman manuals. Lots of info in there and they include some unique things like cast bullets if you ever get into the addiction that far.

Panhandle precision, RCBS and Johnny?s Reloading Bench all have some really informative videos on YouTube explaining the basic concepts and steps to reloading.

To avoid the hook hand, stick to the recipes and the guidelines in the books for a few batches until you?re more comfortable with each step of the process. Then you can experiment with more advanced things like seating off the lands and playing with depths to improve your accuracy.

I also reload my 44 magnum - a straight wall case - which is a 3 piece die set. That process took some reading and research to get the right load

Wow, some really great advice here. Thanks to all! Looks like I've got some studying to do. I appreciate everyone's input.

I started reloading shotgun shells 40 years ago. I expanded my reloading to rifle and handgun ammo 30 years ago. You can save money if you shoot a lot. You can also work a load up and have more accurate ammo than off the shelf loads. It is a great way to kill time on hot summer evenings or cold winter ones. I watch elk hunting videos and reload in my little man cave.  :)

I got a starter kit from Redding and went from there. My dads friend who was big into reloading showed me the ropes! It?s easier than you?d think. I reload for 300 WSM, 7mm-08, 444 & 450 Marlin, 44 spcl & mag, 38 spcl & 357 mag and a few others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back