Right handed left eye dominant

Jen4Hunter

Feb 6, 2013
So im very new to archery and i found out im left eye dominant but right handed.  im trying a left handed bow, is this the right thing to do?  Feels awkward.

my son is left hand and right eye,he has to shoot right handed or he cant hit any thing.My brother is left handed right eye and shoots left handed but looks through right eye when shooting.Dont know how but it works.So I guess its what ever works best for you.You will just have to try it out.I know I could never shoot left handed so I would have to find a way to do it right handed.

You should be able to completely address this by closing your left eye when shooting and shooting one-eyed with your right eye.  Your issue of eye dominance will only come up if you shoot with both eyes open and then your dominant left eye will subconsciously take over the aiming and cause you to be consistently off.  I learned this from years of struggling with shotgun shooting.  I shoot with one eye closed and lose some peripheral vision in order to prevent cross dominance issues with aiming.

Good luck and you can research this for yourself.  Check out shotgun resources and eye dominance.

I definitely think you should shoot with your dominant eye. It will make you more accurate. My wife is also right handed and left eye dominant, as is the owner of the archery shop I go to. Both of them have tried both and are way more accurate with a left handed bow.

My buddy just switched after 20+ years of shooting rt handed, do it now and it will save you grief down the road.

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. When I first got into archery a few years ago a archery shop owner said he wouldn't sell me a bow that didn't correspond to my eye dominance. At first I thought he was crazy but after a day of shooting each way it became obvious to go with my eye dominance. Its not too hard once you get the hang of it.

The awkwardness could help promote good form too. My sister and wife both chose to go with eye dominance and both say they were glad they did as they are much more accurate.

I am right handed but shoot left handed.  You want to go with your dominant eye over your dominant hand!  Just practice with your new bow and you will get used to it fairly quick.  All you really have to do with your shooting hand is trigger your release.  It could actually be an advantage to you because you will be using your stronger hand/arm to hold up and aim your bow.

I'm alos right handed but left eye dominate, as far as archery go with which ever eye is dominate as for as witha gun that is a different take it depends on what you are hunting and withwhat type of rifle/ shotgun/ pistol. I shoot everything left handed but a pistol. but i do practice with all my guns right handed, just for the incase scenerios.

I am right handed and left eye dominant i shoot right handed i have never had a problem with it. I shoot both eyes open and have no issues like wise i have tried a left handed bow and had no issues with it either shooting with both eyes open but i shoot a better arrow right handed so i have stuck with it. But if  had problems shooting and aiming because of it i would switch to a left hand bow.

While it's certainly more comfortable to shoot with both eyes open, i.e. shoot to your dominant eye, it is completely possible for you to become extremely proficient shooting with your dominant hand and non dominant eye. Like you, I am right handed and left eye dominant, but it has never hindered my shooting ability - when I was actively competing I was top 6 in Canada 3D archery. If you think about it, you will either be judging distance with a range finder, or you'll be judging by sight before you draw your bow, so the depth perception you lose by closing 1 eye to shoot really doesn't affect anything because by the time you need to shoot you already know the distance - just put your pin on the spot you want to hit and pull through.

I have heard that if you put a bandana over dominant eye(or eye patch) while practicing it will just become a habit.  I have no first had evidence of this but have heard it multiple times.

Hello
I am left handed with a dominant right eye.  For 17 years I shot left handed, I was a decent shot but realized my shooting ability could be better.  So I switched to a right handed bow.  The hardest thing to get used to was grabbing the bow, for a while I always grabbed it with the wrong hand.  Switching was probably the best thing I ever did to improve my accuracy.  Going from left handed equipment to right handed equipment is also a plus since there is a lot more right handed equipment available.
I'd switch back in a heartbeat if for some reason my dominant eye changed.

Dan

I am left handed and left eye dominant but was taught how to shoot bows and guns right handed and never had a problem. I have tried to switch and go with my dominant eye but as mentioned it was very awkward so I have not changed. If it feels comfortable to you and you have no issues with hitting the target consistently you will be just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back