Roosevelt elk

4mattmyers

Dec 28, 2012
how many of you guys n gals have hunted for these monarchs? either in western Oregon or Washington? do you notice different tactics for these then the Rockies? I have hunted for both, and to me there are quite a few differences.

Yeah I've hunted both and from what I have experienced the rocky mountian bulls seem more responsive and aggressive, I don't know why maybe from the lack of hunting pressure in eastern Oregon. I've also noticed the roosevelt seem to be much more territorial, even if they get bumped by hunters they will stay in the general area, but east of the cascades seems like they are long, long gone when bumped. Not every time just generally.. 
                                                            Any you?

yeah id have to agree with all that. i have found the roosies to be way territorial. i have been on hunts where we bump them and they will run a big giant loop and end up right back where they started.  rockies on the other hand  have ended up three miles away in a different unit some times.. i definately dont call the rosies nearly as much as i do the rockies. they seem to just up and leave... here in western oregon, the brush can be so thick at times, you can stalk right into a herd and they blow out before you even see one. but i have learned to let them bust and then calm back down, cuz they usually dont go too far...

4mattmyers said:
yeah id have to agree with all that. i have found the roosies to be way territorial. i have been on hunts where we bump them and they will run a big giant loop and end up right back where they started.  rockies on the other hand  have ended up three miles away in a different unit some times.. i definately dont call the rosies nearly as much as i do the rockies. they seem to just up and leave... here in western oregon, the brush can be so thick at times, you can stalk right into a herd and they blow out before you even see one. but i have learned to let them bust and then calm back down, cuz they usually dont go too far...

thats good to know as I am thinking about going to western oregon next fall

A great Roosevelt hunter Smoky Cruise says to chuckle more for Roosevelt because the thick cover they are in the sound travels farther.  These elk start bugling sooner because of cooler weather comes to their woods than Rocky's.

They seem less vocal to me but I also do not get a chance to hunt more the a mile or so from any main road. I have to work hard to get them to respond but once they do because of cover you can get close ;)

I don't change my strategy for the two species.  Locate, get in tight and challenge.

Same as jphelps,there is a misconception that roosevelt's don't bugle as much,thats not true,it just doesn't carry as far so a lot of guys never hear them respond,cover ground and listen intently,they are very call receptive.

I've hunted Rockys in Eastern Oregon and Rosies in Western Washington.  The Rockys seemed to be more vocal to me, but that doesn't mean the Rosies are not vocal.  The area I hunted Rosies this past year was mixed.  The first 4 days I hunted I didn't hear a peep.  The last day I hunted I had two different bulls bugling like crazy.  The night before I couldn't get an elk to answer, and that was with 4 different bulls within 200 yards and closer.  I think it all has to do with the timing of the rut.

One of my husband's favorite oft-heard quotes is "Rosies don't talk".  Tell that to the eleven Roosevelt bulls in this house :)  The thick underbrush and fog/drizzle does tend to muffle the sound.  We put a little space between us and listen in all directions for responses to calls.  Sometimes  30 yards apart makes all the difference in one of us picking up the sound.

JPhelps said:
I don't change my strategy for the two species.  Locate, get in tight and challenge.
Elk are elk. That being said,In my experience Roosevelt don't usually respond as often as the Rockies.  It seems even later in the season when they should be hot, I have to call twice as much to get the same amount of responses.

I do a lot of solo hunting - although I wish I had more time with others. I don't think I am a good enough caller yet, I get em talking but tend not to get close unless I shut up.

I killed an awesome rosie bull when I was stationed in Washington State.. It was amazing and WOW,, what a body he had!! Biggest bodied bull I have ever taken! They talk! I had him pissed off at the world!! Most elk I could find where in the low country near the water..

Bucklucky said:
I called in 53 Roosies last year ...... Same tactics for both .

gee dangit BuckLuck...that's a herd and a half of Roosie elk to be calling in! AND I bet a ton of fun!  Never hunted for the Roosies BUT hope to head to the coast range of Oregon one year?!?

I have hunted for Roosies on the Oregon coast for many years and i find that they are very territorial like many have said.  Its very thick and i find myself trying to close the gap a lot closer then i do with Rockys.

I have found that I need to be more patient when hunting Roosies. Several times I have decided to move on, and one is right there..
Also, in my experience when accidently bumping them, or screwing up a set-up, I can come back the next day (sometimes even a few hours later on the same day) and they will be back, while RM's will flat out leave, and I have to go in search for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back