scent control in vehicle

Elk2

Jan 3, 2013
Alright I may be crazy, but I have never put a air freshener in my vehicles, because I don't want it to stink up my clothes going hunting.  In saying this, sometimes my vehicles get a weird odor and need a little freshening up.  I usually just spray my dead down wind spray and it does ok, but does anyone do anything to help keep odors down and not have the perfume smell? 

Elk2 said:
Alright I may be crazy, but I have never put a air freshener in my vehicles, because I don't want it to stink up my clothes going hunting.  In saying this, sometimes my vehicles get a weird odor and need a little freshening up.  I usually just spray my dead down wind spray and it does ok, but does anyone do anything to help keep odors down and not have the perfume smell?

About a month before hunting season, I place several open boxes of baking soda in my truck to absorb general odors whether I smell them or not. I would recommend changing them monthly throughout the season.

I don't use enzyme based scent control products as their efficacy could be more susceptible to extreme temperatures. Rather, I use Upwind Odor Eliminator (sprayed on my vehicle upholstery) which is copper as an oxidation(same reaction type created by ozone) catalyst. Check it out: https://huntupwind.com/?mref=255

Lastly, I run my Ozonics unit in my truck about 20-30 mins prior to driving to my hunting location. I usually crack the window so as to not build too high of ozone concentration.

Hope this helps. This is just what I do related to my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past I have gathered vegetation; tree bark, sage, pine branches, and other perforating plant life from my actual hunting area and stored it in a bin/tub. It was here where I stashed my hunting clothes in the bin a few days prior of the hunt. 

I would pull out the tub and change clothes at the trail-head to eliminated any odors from the vehicle.

Realistically not a lot will help getting rid of odors, it seamed to be more work then anything now. Mind over matter, best advice: Always have the wind to your advantage.   

I don't deal with any of that.  By the time you walk 50 yards up the trail any scent control is out the window. hunt the wind or say a prayer.

alpinebowman said:
I don't deal with any of that.  By the time you walk 50 yards up the trail any scent control is out the window. hunt the wind or say a prayer.
Same here alpinebowman  ;)

Won't matter what you do or use, once you're upWind of that bull, he's gone. Keep the wind in your face the best you can and that's the best you can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wash my clothes in a scent free soap and keep them in a sealed tote. I change at the trailhead and always play the wind. I just wish the wind would play fair and be consistant. :mad:

As a general scent control tactic I use the baking soda in the rig as well year round. I have kids and who knows what they spill! Lol.  For myself I start 30 days (may be excess but that way I'll get a routine) start using unscented organic bar soap to wash my body and hair in the shower.  As well as unscented laundry detergent for my normal clothes and daily wear. This way I feel I am removing all colognes and scents that are associated with my body even when sweating.  I do use the regular scent control products before I go in the field. However I feel trying to eliminate as much of a human odor and then washing in scent control products eliminates even more odor. So far it hasn't done me wrong.

Last year I was in a blind, river bottom first week of October end of September looking for my doe tag to be punched and I kid you not a train of 5-6 cows followed closely by a 5x5 bull walked out with a questionable wind.  It blew me away.  I like to think that was due to my scent neutralizing efforts. Who knows though!  In my mind it's solid.

alpinebowman said:

I agree with Alpinebowman...except "hunt the wind" AND "say a prayer"!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back