Sept. 13 through the 21st

westbound

May 20, 2013
I will be in sw montana Sept. 13 through the 21st.  I'm pretty sure the full moon is on the 19th.  I wanted to be out there earlier in the season but this is when I could get off work.  This is my first trip to montana, how is the hunting pressure this time of year?  What is the best way to hunt just before and during the full moon?  Any tips on how or even where a good spot to check out would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I'm originally from SW MT. My buddy and I hunt the first week and never see anybody, but the elk aren't quite as fired up. After that the people numbers pick up, but there still aren't that many people. The elk start getting fired up pretty good and depending were you go you might have to worry about wolves. Were we go we don't have wolf problems but if you go across the highway they have lots of wolves.

thanks for the info!  I am looking at 324 or 327.  Do you know anything about these areas?  I figured if I stayed a little farther from yellowstone the wolves would be less of a problem.  Thats just a guess though.

My buddy and I tried 327 three years ago. We were on the Montana/Idaho border. We saw quite a few elk, but they were pretty silent. It was also the first week of the season. We saw wolf tracks, black and grizzly bear scat there too. But like I said. We saw plenty of elk where we were at. I don't know much about 324. If you message me I can tell you some stuff and maybe a few other areas that might help out a little bit. Paste this message into it so I know what I already told you haha.

S/b a good time of the season to be out and I wouldn't be overly worried about the moon phase.  I'll be out that same week and if they're rutting at night, I'd ramp up the glassing to find/stalk them in their beds and be willing to put on some boot miles to find where they.  Also, I'd plan to be out hunting all day as they may become active again mid day to feed/cool off/get water.

Be more worried about wolves than the moon phases....they will still talk plenty during a full moon, but clam up tight if wolves are in the area.....gl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back