Shooting sticks to sight in your bow?

stbmldcgrvs

May 4, 2013
Anyone use shooting sticks in a bi-pod fashion to sight in their bow for a more consistent shot?  Guys do shooting benches for their rifles, some use a hooter shooter to test their arrows, so why not shooting sticks with the stabilizer in the cross of the sticks for stability in the sighting in process?

Granted, for shooting 35 yards and under this isn't needed but for longer ranges I would think it might help.

I never have but I am curious to see if anyone else has and if someone is brave enough to admit it for fear of being shamed. Heck I might try it this weekend just for fun to see if it would work.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Never heard of that. I mean it might work? To some degree anyway. I would think that a rest would stop some of the forward fall and be a little rigid.  My local archery shop has one of those machines your bow sits in and you can sling arrows and get a good idea. He tunes out to 100yds. We are trying to get him to get a group going where we can bring our own bows and give it a whirl.  Sorry got off topic-  I haven?t heard of that.  Anyone else?

I haven?t either, but I?d think it would effect point of impact for sure when compared to shooting normal without the sticks.

I've never heard of shooting sticks but I have seen an older gentleman that had a brace on his bow arm which had a support bar that connected to a special belt connection on his hip. It kept his bow arm supported and straight. I guess he was a human bipod...kinda. I had never seen anything like it.  ???

I?m going to guess that it won?t work. When a bow is fired it reacts in your hand as the arrow pushes forward and off the rest and away from the riser. By having a bow supported with something other than your hand the poi won?t be the same.

Target archers routinely experiment with different lengths, weights and angles of stabilizers to achieve a steady and consistent hold. Nearly every significant change affects their poi. I would think shooting sticks would do the same.

If a guy has trouble sighting in his bow at longer distances, he definitely wouldn't want to sight his bow in with shooting sticks (I don't even think this is practical) or say a hooter shooter.  You could have an issue where you start to hold low or high (common issue with target panic) at longer distances.  If you are a guy who can't put his pin over a dot at 80 yards but you can consistently hold it low, you would set up your bow where your 80 yard pin shot a little high.  If you allowed a machine to hold your bow for you and shoot it for setting your pins you would end up shooting low.

Not to be a tool but if a guy can't hold steady enough to sight in a pin at a given distance, he doesn't need to be shooting that distance.

A friend of mine says he recently talked to a guy from NM who uses something like this and actually shot a deer last year around 120 yds! 

COLOelkman said:
A friend of mine says he recently talked to a guy from NM who uses something like this and actually shot a deer last year around 120 yds!

Irresponsible and extremely problematic in all kinds of ways. I'm just thankful he killed the animal verses the other possible and most undesirable  outcome of such stupidity. Not someone I would hunt with.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back