Signs of a bull or cow

eddew7x7

Dec 30, 2012
Bulls and cows are built different so that is a good way to judge sign.  Bulls have small hips and big chest which will change the prints they leave.  Elk always step their back hooves into the front print.  So bulls will step to the inside of the front foot and cows will step to the outside of the front foot.  Another sign is droppings bulls look like acorns with one end being blunt.  Where cows are rounded on both ends.  If following watch to see if the animal goes around trees or just under low branches.  Bulls around and cows under the low branches.

Thats some interesting stuff. I never knew that cows step on the outside and bulls on the inside. I guess I'm usually just looking at size. I also look to see if there are smaller hoof prints next to the tracks I'm following. This will usually indicate that there is a calf with a cow.

hmm.. thanks. I'll be looking at track more carefully too see if I can notice the rear track placement

1st time I've even thought about reading the tracks.  Is there any difference in the print itself?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back