Single pin sights

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
Wanting to pull the trigger on a new sight and I'm thinking of going with a single pin sight...for those that use(d) them, what are your thoughts experiences with them.  Any big issues I should be aware of?

I went to it many years ago and never looked back. In my area the vegetation is dense so any shot over 30 yds is not likely due to too many limbs and things. It takes away the guess work for sure. Pik the spot and shoot them where they breath.

I have been thinking about going to a single pin as well.......might rock a three pin this year though. Decisions decisions.

I guess my biggest issue is how quick can I change the yardage, but everyone that I have talked to that uses one says it is a non issue.

The adjusting yardage in the heat of the stalk is my concern as well.

Any recommendations?  Was looking at the Hogg Father.

I have switched to single pin sights about four years ago, I use HHA sights with 2'' sight housings 19thou pin and the round dial for adjustments, I have two of the same model for each of my bows! Both of my bows are set up the same so there is no confusion. I take the second bow as a backup Iam a southpaw and no one else I hunt with is, so I need a backup if something happens! I can leave my release clipped on my loop and reach forward to roll the sight dial to change yardage with minimal movement it just takes a little practice!  My only worry is if i bent my pin or broke it while hunting but that has not happened to me yet!

I am interested in single pins as well, but id like to shoot one first. Seems like I get a lot of 50 yard shots where i hunt. ...

have used one for several years it is nice that you can set them to the exact yards,much more acturate.however I have missed the opportunity to take more than one elk due to You cant adjust them with  an arrow drawn.like when you have an elk walking in at you and you are at full draw waiting for them to turn broad side,cant realy change form 50 to 30 yard .this has got me enough times that I switched to a 7 pin and loving it.

I could see a lot of advantages of a single pin slider type sight: cleaner sight picture, never pick the wrong pin, extended range without additional pins.

But I can see disadvantages also: another motion to make, taking you eye off the target. making noise trying to move the slider with release hand.

To anyone who uses one, are any of the disadvantages real?

When I started deer hunting, we did not have range finders. I used a stack of pins and it seemed I was always missing by a yard or two. I went to a single pin and sighted it in by walking to a target and standing at what looked like 25 yards to me. I would hold a little low when deer were close and a little high whne farther away. The pin was always on the deer. I never used a 25 yard measurement, just what my eye saw to be 25 yards. I started hitting deer every shot. I went to the one pin swinging sight for tree stands, but did not use it long because I started elk hunting.....and we now have range finders, so I have rerturned to the stack pins which are deadly if you know your yardage. It even makes it possible to shoot further with accuracy. If I only planned on shooting elk out to 35 yards, I would go back to a single pin.
Hope this helps some

I used it for a couple years and ran into trouble with an elk coming in and hanging up around 50 yards.  I wasnt able to adjust my sight so i did not take the shot.  I have now switched to a 7 pin Montana black gold sight and love it. NO going back to a single pin for me.

I am also considering changing to a single pin moveable from my 7 deadly pins.  My only concern is having it set at 30 and an elk seeing me draw, or something similar, and running to 60yds and looking back to see what I was.  The 7 pin would still work, the single would not.  I wish this decision was easier!

I've used a  single pin for 10 yrs and never regretted it. That being said I hunt in country where it is very dense and seldom do shots present themselves over 30 ys, due to too much brush and unseen limbs. For me there is no other choice and it takes another step out of the equation on selecting a pin. I use one pin set at 23 yds and that is all I have needed. 

I think there are 2 different kinds of single pin sights being talked about here.  The stationary single pin and the slider single pin.  I shot a slider single pin for a few years and had good luck with it.  Never made the mistake of not adjusting yardage on it.  It is definitely better for 3d shoots where you can adjust it to say 43yards and hold dead on where you wanted to hit instead of holding high or low.  Went to a 7 pin sight a few years back and then last year I switched to my favorite yet, a 5 pin slider sight, the Montana Black Gold ascent.

Here is a link to an interesting way to set up a single pin (stationary) sight and be able to shoot out to 50 yards. with it.  You just have to hold a foot low from 12 to 42 yards.http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/archery/252-the-qtrick-pinq-system 

How about the best of both....Just pulled a trigger on a Black Gold Ascent 5 pin with a slider, so I have fixed pins to 60 yards and the ability to slide it out to 100+ yards for long distance shooting at the range.  Can't wait to get it mounted and tested out! 

Thanks for the insight.

I watched my buddy forget to adjust the sight just during target practice. Even if you are trying to think about it you have your mind in other places when you have a big buck or bull in front of you so I am not a firm believer in them.

I am thinking about multiple pin moveable spot hogg also, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a single pin to concentrate on doesn't it?

Spot Hogg 7DP is hard to beat. If you take longer shots you can have 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 or you can keep it close and have all pins at 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 or any combination you want and you don't have to remember to adjust your sight.

My dad gave me his single after he missed when the elk saw him draw and jumped out. He held high but shot low. He was frustrated and knew in that situation a multipin was a better option so he changed. I shot the single for a while, it was fun for target shooting. But I didn't keep it on for hunting.

Back