sleeping gear

4mattmyers

Dec 28, 2012
what sleeping bags and/or pads do you guys like or dislike? I am in the market for a new bag to use on backpacking adventures this year.  I have been checking out the Sierra designs zissou bag that has the new dry down.  looks like a great bag.

I've had the Big Agnes Lost Ranger for 9 years. I love it. It is wider than a traditional mummy bag (more room for my knees). There is a sleave on the bottom of the bag w/o insulation that is made for a thermarest style sleeping pad. This has worked well for me, as I tend to toss/turn while sleeping. I can turn inside the bag w/o getting all twisted up in a traditional style bag.

Kifaru slick bag 20 here. I have a thermarest, foam mat. The mat could use upgrading but it is durable. You will be hard pressed to beat the bag though.

I used a kelty cosmic down 20 2#7oz and a thermarest  trail scout medium 1#6oz I chose a self inflating pad due to the elevation we camp at over10K
I don't handle the elevation change well and didn't want to pas out blowing up a pad.
I was satisfied with them both for early September.

Reedjj said:
Kifaru slick bag 20 here. I have a thermarest, foam mat. The mat could use upgrading but it is durable. You will be hard pressed to beat the bag though.

X2 on the Slick Bag--mine is the 0 degree and paired with the Exped Synmat 9 (insulated, wide and comfortable), I have actually slept in my spike tent like I was at home in bed.  First time that ever happened while elk hunting! ;D

If you wanted light, go with Exped UL7 for combo warmth and weight.  One of the biggest learnings for me was how much cold was coming from the ground and what a difference a good insulating sleeping pad made in the effective warmth of your sleeping bag.

I went with a Big Agnes Zirkel SL and their Insulated Air Core Mommy pad and have never looked back. The only draw back is that it could be to hot. I rather open the bag and or lay on top of it that have a miserable freezing sleepless night.

MontBell Spiral Down...super comfortable and plenty warm...NeoAir Pad.  Haven't been cold yet down to the single digits.  I love being able to move around in the spiral down...it stretches.

I own a Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger Ultra Light #0 bag.  Has I believe 850 down fill.  Super light.  Packs down small.  And very warm.  The big negative is that it also is super light on the wallet.  I paid just under $400 a few years ago and even then it was on sale.  For a pad I bought an ExPed Synmat #7 with built-in pump.  Warm, packs down small, and pretty light weight, and comfy.  Built in pump is great as it takes a lot of huffing and puffing to blow up a thicker pad that is not self-inflating.  It also keeps condensation (your breath) out of inside of pad.  I bought my wife a Big Agnes Q-Core and that seems promising, but have not used it yet.  But it has great reviews.  By the way, I back pack in each September three miles for a week long elk hunt.  Having lightweight and high quality gear is important. 

I have used quite a few different bag and pad combos but most recently it has been either a Kifaru 20degr or 0degr (depending on temp) with a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad.

I am about to get a big agnes farwell and I definitely prefer an inflatable pad.  Had many mornings of sore back and hips from foam pads

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back