So I was thinking today about....

TetonStorm

Apr 1, 2014
All the mistakes I\'ve made over the years when I\'m into the elk. Most of them are one time events and I learn and not let it happen again. There is one mistake that I have repeated numerous times though that I really need to overcome. It\'s when a bull is responding to me and he and I are in a battle with calling.I don\'t get aggressive enough with regards to moving in on him. In the moment I get nervous that if I go straight in at him (with wind in my face) I\'ll blow him out for one reason or another. Every year I tell myself \"I\'m not going to let that happen again\". I mean what\'s the difference, if I blow him out or let him walk it\'s the same result. I might as well go for it. I\'ve got to get over this hurdle because it\'s cost me numerous opportunities over the years. Do you guys/gals have a mistake that has affected you more then once?

One of my most common mistakes is to think I can and should close the gap between us more. I try to get closer and get busted. I find Teton\'s perspective interesting as it sounds like it is almost the opposite of what I am experiencing. I am hunting fairly open country but am convinced the bull only saw movement coming his way.

\"TetonStorm\" said:
All the mistakes I\'ve made over the years when I\'m into the elk. Most of them are one time events and I learn and not let it happen again. There is one mistake that I have repeated numerous times though that I really need to overcome. It\'s when a bull is responding to me and he and I are in a battle with calling.I don\'t get aggressive enough with regards to moving in on him. In the moment I get nervous that if I go straight in at him (with wind in my face) I\'ll blow him out for one reason or another. Every year I tell myself \"I\'m not going to let that happen again\". I mean what\'s the difference, if I blow him out or let him walk it\'s the same result. I might as well go for it. I\'ve got to get over this hurdle because it\'s cost me numerous opportunities over the years. Do you guys/gals have a mistake that has affected you more then once?

TetonStorm, I used to be that way.

Hunting solo...my decoy has allowed me to hunt more aggressively in that scenario. I can move forward, or back out shielded...so I\'m confident if the wind is right, that my movements will be taken as being an elk. Ideally, I\'d like to have closed the gap without being sighted...but if it\'s a herd scenario with satellites, it can be tough to do that.
The Decoy has allowed me to effectively move into elk more aggressively if needed. :cool:

I\'ve been looking at your decoys and think they are the awesome. It\'s the next piece of gear for me. Swede, would you consider a more aggressive approach if you were in timber and could use topography to your advantage so you weren\'t seen? For me to not be more aggressive leaves me thinking...\"well, I just let that one get away.\" I\'ve got to change it up and roll the dice once in a while and see if it\'s more successful. Again, I would really like to get the butt decoy as I think my confidence would go up in those situations.

I have found there is a fine line of getting to the right spot by being aggressive and being busted.
I have moved in on a bull, cow talking along the way only to look ahead and have him standing there peering around a tree looking at me, well within bow range

In tighter cover I move in on a bull not calling at all and have had the same result.

I thinks its one of those things that the bull always has the advantage.

If you get close, you still have to do some unnatural movement by drawing your bow, find an opening, settle the pin and release an arrow.

The whole time he is just standing there looking at you.

Teton: I could get closer with more cover, but I am not sure it would mean more elk on the ground. I think cnelk explains the dilemma about as well as it can be done. Last season I messed up on a big bull. Right after I got busted I knew I should have waited. He was meandering along feeding about 80-100 yards away. I thought if I can cut that to 6o yards, the odds will go up greatly that he will cross in front of me within shooting range. He was looking down, slightly quartering toward me and I had some decent cover, so I quickly moved toward him. Bad move.

Ever since reading Mike Lapinski\'s Radical Elk Hunting Strategies: Secrets of Calling Elk in Close long ago, I\'ve been inclined to push the envelope when closing in on elk. Last year I was closing in on a bull with a Newbie to calling elk when he said \'he\'s right there\'. I thought he meant that the bull was up ahead but out of sight. That wasn\'t the case...the bull was looking right at us.

I couldn\'t see the bull, and proceeded to sneak over to my friend (all bent over at the waist like a stealthy ninja) to get the decoy off of his pack. Then I awkwardly tried to unfold it while I snuck back to set it up 20 feet to the side. At that point I was ready to impress my buddy (and the bull) with my elk calling abilities. The bull stayed around longer than is normal for that type of situation (full-on visual and auditory exposure)...most likely because he\'d never before seen such ridiculousness in his neck of the woods. I assume he felt relatively safe near such incompetence.

When I was all set up, I looked over at my buddy who mouthed the words, \'he\'s gone\'. I said, \'how do you know?\' Jake let me know that both he and the bull were watching me sneak back and forth the whole time.

Welcome to Elk Callers Anonymous. The first step is admitting you have a problem. :)

On a serious note, I too have experienced the exact hesitation you have. Know the terrain, trust in your skills, and think about all the other times the bull walked away. If pressuring the bull is going to be your best tactic, then tell yourself not again! The first step is always the hardest but the rest get easier.

My 2-cents!

John, since re-reading my post and your response I\'ve had a change of heart. I\'m backing away from the first step toward recovery at the Elk Callers Anonymous campfire. I now realize that it was all Jake\'s fault...he wasn\'t clear enough when he said \'he\'s right there\'. I accept no responsibility for my failed ninja routine, it was Jake that made me do it.

Pass the bottle. :angle:

\"Siskiyou\" said:
John, since re-reading my post and your response I\'ve had a change of heart. I\'m backing away from the first step toward recovery at the Elk Callers Anonymous campfire. I now realize that it was all Jake\'s fault...he wasn\'t clear enough when he said \'he\'s right there\'. I accept no responsibility for my failed ninja routine, it was Jake that made me do it.

Pass the bottle. :angle:
Yes, I like blaming the newbies as well! :clap:

Members online

No members online now.
Back