Sound localization

mtndone

Jan 2, 2013
So last season I learned an interesting lesson on sound localization.  While sitting down for lunch on top of a Mountain we let out a bugle, it was immediately answered from a bull over 1000 yards away downhill, we replied and he came running.  He literally ran up the hill and stopped 20 yards from where we were and stared at the exact spot we were sitting at when we bugled!  I never knew that their sound vocalization was that spot on!  It was truly one of those Holy Crap moments where you realize just how tuned their senses are.

Knowing that is a big advantage. When you nowthey are coming, move forward and find a good shooting lane because they will usually come to a point where they think they should see the elk that is calling and stop. If you are forward you will have a good chance to get a shot without them knowing you are there !

Yeah elk and turkey are ridiculous that way.
What really astounds me is when I and my partner hear an elk bugle and we both point in different directions!

So are there any tricks to get better at it ourselves?  I seem to really struggle pinpointing where bugles come from.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back