Spring Bear hunting

I've been out once.  Still a bit early here in MT for bears I think.  Not a track, not a piece of scat.  I'm trying a different a more remote area this weekend.  I'll have my video cam so if anything shows I'll put it up as a link here.  Usually a lot of bears in this drainage I'm headed to so we'll see with a little luck what transpires.  Gonna hang a game cam in there too so that will let me know what's going on if I don't happen on any in the flesh. 

made it into a different spot and was tracking a bear for about a mile before we lost his tracks in a brushy area.  Lots of new sign of bears in there though, scrapes and scat all over the place.  Hung up the game cam along the trail he was using so if we get some good pics I'll throw them up here.  I'll be out again in that area in two weeks.  Gonna bring my ground blind and post up for the weekend if I catch some recent pictures of the bear.  Maybe set up a tree stand if I get ambitious.

I've got a spring permit here in Utah.  Started baiting April 10th.  The weather has not been good.  Snowed quite a bit since then.  I've checked the bait and trail cameras every few days with nothing so far.  Finally this week it's been warm enough to melt the snow.  Going up to check them tomorrow and again on Saturday.  Hopefully something has shown up.

I'll keep you posted.

Out on trail this coming sunday to swap memory cards on the trail cam.  should be interesting to see whats on there.  I'll get the pics up if that bear's on there.  Gonna hang in a ground blind till dark and see whats moving through the drainage.

Just started two baits this week.  We've run out of money/time in the past, but always love getting to watch bears and being in the woods in the spring.  Both are new canyons so lots of anticipation to see what hits.  We remembered the cameras but forgot the sd cards so pics will come at some point.

Went out and checked my game cam today.  The bear I had been tracking is apparently a sow with cub  :'( .  I moved the camera into another creek drainage where some sign was found.  W'll see what turns up in the next couple weeks.

Been baiting for two weeks and found out this big bruin has been hitting it hard. I think he'll do!

Attachments

• AMFDC0329sd.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 2
Finally made it happen with only one week left in the season.  Not a monster, but good for my first bear on a unit with very few bears.
8_zps4f6f5eaa.jpg

Hey good bear!  I'm headed back out for a weekend trip first weekend in June.  Hoping to catch one out too still.  Work and the kids have been keeping me out of the hunt the last few weeks.  Plus the car has had some mechanical issues going as well.  All that will be finished this week so It'll be green light to get back in the hills!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back