state with best ELK hunting for the buck$

SIDEHILLARCHERY

Dec 29, 2012
for all the guys out there who've hunted out of state ELK. which one has the best ELK hunting at an affordable rate?

Seems like all states are going up lately.  Right now Colorado is a pretty good deal especially when you factor in the quality of the hunt.  Right around $550 and no hunting license that you have to buy (there is a $10 conservation permit though).  Utah OTC is probably the cheapest at $393 + $60 hunting license.  OTC is limited and crowded though so I'd definitely go to Colorado for $100 more. 

If you already live in a western elk state, the OTC tag in your state is the best elk hunt for your money. You can always create a good hunt with proper prior planning and a positive attitude, regardless of the elk numbers or trophy quality. If you don't live in one of those states, I personally think Wyoming is probably the best deal going. $577 for your license/tag. Includes a nr fishing license as well as a lot of quality areas to choose from. Many areas to escape the crowds and beautiful country.

ElkManDan said:
Seems like all states are going up lately.  Right now Colorado is a pretty good deal especially when you factor in the quality of the hunt.  Right around $550 and no hunting license that you have to buy (there is a $10 conservation permit though).  Utah OTC is probably the cheapest at $393 + $60 hunting license.  OTC is limited and crowded though so I'd definitely go to Colorado for $100 more.

is utah really more crowded than CO?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ElkManDan said:

is utah really more crowded than CO?

I think Utah is a little worse than Colorado. I would go with Wyoming.

Back when I was doing a lot of research on States, I believe that most of the Utah OTC tags were Spike only for most unit.

For the money Colorado is the best place for the money. IMHO

And Wyoming is working on a big price increase for non-res hunters.

Kevin

buckykm1 said:
Back when I was doing a lot of research on States, I believe that most of the Utah OTC tags were Spike only for most unit.

Kevin

what about oregon?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
buckykm1 said:

Kevin

what about oregon?

I don't know anything about Oregon. being from Michigan, that is farther then I wanted to go.

Kevin

Oregon has some good OTC hunts, but the number of hunters the past few years has been making it extremely hard to hunt. I have had some honeyholes that nobody knew about 5 years ago, now everyone is in them. Way too many people for OTC hunts.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
buckykm1 said:

Kevin

what about oregon?

Oregon you are $140 for a license and another $500 for a tag, OTC hunts for Roosevelts are plentiful but tough hunting if you have never hunted them, hell they are tough if you have. OTC hunts for Rocky Mtn elk can be very crowded and depending if it is rifle or archery comes into play. Archery has a lot more access OTC, rifle is all draw for the east side and Oregon's draw odds for Non-res are terrible. Sounds like for Value Colorado is pretty good, I enjoy Montana just because I love the country. I know a lot of guys that have been doing Idaho, not sure of the cost though.

For me it's Eastern Oregon.  It's very close and it's alot cheaper for me to drive there and hunt.  I hunt the elk during the archery season and get the OTC tags.  I have only gone for three years and not killed any elk yet but I am still trying.  I have always seen a lot of elk.  I always do a DIY hunt.
;D

As I think if the word "budget" all things included; fuel, liscense fees and so forth then Wyoming is a tough state to pass up. Lower tax fees, cheapest fuel in the nation more than 50% of the state is public land, several OTC tags.  There is also several areas where you can get an additional reduced price cow/calf tag for the fellow meat eaters among us!!  All if the west is beautiful and few states up in the northwest I've yet to visit, but great scenery in all elk areas!!

For me it would have to be Idaho I can drive on the interstate for most of the trip and with the tag separate from the license I can get a deer tag or another elk tag for less.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back