The Peppers for black files

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
So I'm reading that black pepper is what you should use to determine black files from elk meat. Then I read cayenne pepper is the way to go. And last but not least, chili pepper. Of course there's the black pepper/chili pepper combo. Black pepper/cayenne pepper mix. What are your thoughts/suggestions for preventing flies for blowing eggs on elk meat?

Always used black pepper personally

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

I always use typical black table ground pepper as I skin off the hide.  I haven't found anything better.  Flies really do hate it. 

I was fortunate to kill a bull last week. I used a combination of both black pepper and chili powder. All I can say is as I was skinning the bull, I liberally sprinkled both peppers on the exposed meat. It did not keep all the flies away. However, it did keep them at bay. Once I was finished and the carcass was left exposed the files were on it in full force.

In conclusion, pepper works.

I agree. Black Pepper works good at keeping the flies off.
Also,if you have any trouble with meat Bee's, try some Pam spray.

Works wonders!

black pepper really works wonders worked last year in 60 degrees and the year before in 75 degrees in the sun

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back