Timing advice/recommendation

oscarsteve

Dec 11, 2018
My son, SIL, and I completed our first ever elk hunt (an OTC backpacking archery elk hunt) in CO this past Sept. We hunted Sept. 4-11 and took a 5 x 5 bull on the 8th. Had another opportunity on a bigger bull on the 11th...until the wind changed direction. Never heard any bugling until the 6th and it was mostly at night.
    We're going back to the same unit this Sept. This year the season opens Sept. 2 (a Wednesday) which is also the date of the full moon. Muzzleloader season runs from the 12th-18th and the Fall Solstice is the 21st. We should have almost 2 weeks to hunt.
    QUESTION: If it were you, what dates would you recommend being out there? I know there are a lot of variables to consider. (like weather) If we go early, then the elk might not have had a lot of pressure. We'd like to hear more bugling, which to me, might mean going later. But then, your competing with ML folks and more time has elapsed with the elk having been "messed with" more.
    What do you say?

I think that's the battle many of us are facing this year. First week includes the Labor Day weekend holiday, 2nd week is muzzleloader, and then two weeks remain. We have noticed that the elk definitely are a lot quieter after the muzzleloader season in the areas we hunt, so we aren't sure what to do.

Considering you had success early, I'd maybe just stick with the same thing and go the 2nd until you tag out. You'll have a little crowding in the middle of the hunt with the holiday weekend crowd and a little at the end with the muzzleloaders, but that's probably what I would do if I were you.

I prefer to hunt early. I have had good luck with elk talk even in warmer weather of the earlier hunts. The more pressure we get the quieter and more paranoid the elk seem to be.

It?s a tough call. Everyone dreams of the frosty mornings in the meadow listening to the herd bull ripping it loose. Then getting in close calling him in. But in reality, at least what I have found, my best success has been on opening weekend and the week after which is generally 70 or 80 degrees at 11am - 12pm on top of the mountain catching them going to bed. That time of year general we find little to no bugling and you second guessing yourself if it?s worth being out there or not. If you don?t see elk it?s plane miserable, but it has been our most successful scenario.

IMO it has a lot to do with hunting pressure. I generally find if I?m the first one in there it?s my best chance to shoot an elk. We normally plan our hunts around that.

Good luck to you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies cohunter14, ribo451, and NateW. It seems that you three are in agreement along with, at least one, of my hunting partners. I posted this on another forum and received similar advice. As much as I would love to hear/see more bugling/rutting action, that isn't the #1 goal of the trip, Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back