tips for hunting when everythings on fire!

woodbutcher

May 23, 2013
I'm lucky enough to live SW MT but this year I have a problem, my planned huntin areas are on fire. With Idaho and half of Montana burning I'm curious to know if anyone has tips for hunting when everything seems to be on fire?

Hunt in the bottoms of drainages near water sources.  That was my strategy last year and I had several opportunities.  Since the smoke is raising up high you can find some reprieve from the smoke in the creek bottoms, plus it's cooler down there and the elk seemed to like that.  I am pretty bummed too though.  Wanted this season to be different than last year.  I hate hunting in the smoke and heat.  What ever happened to rain? maybe a little snow?  I live in Lolo and can still see the fire burning from my house.  Pretty weak.  Hoping the swan valley (where I typically hunt) is a bit clearer by the opener.  Good luck to you.

Sounds like a reasonable strategy, thx. Hope the fire stays visible from a distance only. I work for a fire and water restoration company, A word of advice for you on fires and smoke. If your home smells like smoke after the fire is out turn in a claim to your insurance company or do the deepest cleaning job possible, walls ceiling furniture cabinets everything. Smoke/ soot is corrosive if allowed to sit. Its also the gift that keeps on giving if not cleaned up. Last year we spent months cleaning peoples homes after wildfires came through.

Hey thanks for the heads up!  Will definitely be doing some cleaning.  I don't think I remember what clean air smells like at this point. 

i camp on corral creek, right across the road from the Eureka fire....  planning on rifle season at this point.  looks like the area's getting light rain right now, got a little last night.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back