Tree Stand Hunter\'s Guide

Swede

Mar 4, 2014
We have a caller\'s guide posted, and here is a similar printable guide for tree stand hunters. I have to give John the credit for coming up with the idea. I know it is our hope that we can help BTO elk hunters be more successful. I love the discussion and ribbing we can all identify with, but when it is all said and done, our heart is in seeing new people get the passion and have success at elk hunting. I hope this helps some of you a lot.

TREE STAND HUNTERS FRIEND--ELK
Home Search: Check topographic maps and Google Earth for likely spots where elk will pass. Look for game trails, water holes, saddles, strips of cover between bedding and feeding areas. Semi-arid areas are good regions to look for tree stand locations over water. Read magazine articles, watch DVDs, follow BTO posts, and ask others for areas of interest. Do not expect coordinates from on-line contributors, but first hand messages about a general area can keep you from disappointing hunts later.
Field Scouting: Look for places elk frequent. A few trail cameras set up in potential areas can tell what is coming around, and when. Bulls and cows often use separate areas in the Summer and very early season. Do not get enticed by seeing an elk or some random fresh tracks. Look for signs of repeat use, new and old sign. Look at rubs, tracks, feces, trails, muddy stinking water. Look for places where elk use is concentrated. Find a place where several trails come together in a funnel or passage. Note: Hillsides areas and ridges are usually good for minimizing scent problems. Basins hold your scent.
Selecting A Tree: There is no perfect tree. Try to find one that is large enough to hold a stand stable about 25 feet off the ground and try to be in some cover. Also cover can be placed in your tree if needed. Have good shooting lanes into the area where you expect to see elk. Avoid dead, unstable, rotten and pitchy trees.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set-up: Face stand so you can easily make a shot at most nearby elk without too much movement. Check for squeaks. Make sure your stand feels solid. Avoid being seen by uphill elk and standing out in the open sunlight. Your tether should be almost tight when you are seated. Place no decoys on the ground. Know your shooting distances to prominent points around your stand. Have two or three good hangers for your bow, pack, etc. You can hunt productively immediately after setting up your stand, so minimize the disturbance you make while hanging a stand.
The Waiting Game: Never get impatient. Sit quiet and watch. Elk can come around at any time. If you read, look up and around frequently. Never get distracted so you lose your focus on elk hunting. Don\'t call. You are set up at the most likely place for elk to arrive at on the entire area. Elk can come in during the morning, early afternoon, but the most likely time at a waterhole is in the evening.
Opportunity arrives: While in your stand never answer an elk call. Prepare for the shot as soon as you become aware of an elks presence. Don\'t watch the bull. Focus on what you need to do to make the shot. Bend at the waist and not the bow or arms. Take your time on the shot. Make sure you are seeing the proper sight picture. Hold high on the elk you shoot at, considering the downward angle of the arrow path.
<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.backtrakoutdoors.com\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.backtrakoutdoors.com</a><!-- m -->

Here are some pics of my tree stands for elk

This one saw lots of elk Sept 2015

Good info! Thank you. This year really made me rethink the option of using a treestand. I know elk are where you find them, but are there any consistent features you look for with stand placements like aspect or ridges, mid slope, or drainage bottoms? And on the other side is there anything you find yourself consistently avoiding?

Andy, the #1 thing I try to avoid is humans. Hunters love to walk ridges and trails. If you get too many hunters in an area the elk are pushed out. In addition a few hunters will take your equipment. I have had only one stand stolen, but for some reason, more will take your lines that you use.
Also I don\'t care to sit over a noisy stream, or in a basin if I can help it. I like a still, isolated pool of water on a side hill.
Ultimately, it still all comes down to being where the elk will likely show up, and you can have that quality time alone with one.

Great job Swede! As a newbies to tree stand hunting, this will work great for my son and I to carry with us.

Excellent! Thanks, Swede. :)

It\'s very helpful that you included something about the mental aspect re: the waiting game and opportunity. That part can be extremely hard for those of us who usually still hunt or spot-and-stalk. Newbies (like me) can (and almost did) blow some amazing elk encounters by wanting to go look around instead of being patient and staying in the stand.

When the elk (and turkey and deer) do come in, they have no idea you\'re there. It\'s magical. And worth the wait!

Just out of curiosity. I know some of you will dog the herd or locate and ambush as well as tree stand hunt. When you find a new spot what makes you decide which way you will hunt the area? And how much does a trail camera play into deciding how and where to hunt?

\"AndyJ\" said:
Just out of curiosity. I know some of you will dog the herd or locate and ambush as well as tree stand hunt. When you find a new spot what makes you decide which way you will hunt the area? And how much does a trail camera play into deciding how and where to hunt?

I hunt certain areas in my tree stand during the evening. It\'s generally over water.
I prefer the tree stand because of the obvious reasons. I have a better line of sight and can watch more area.
Because I can see out further, I am able to prepare better.

One of my biggest reasons for the stand during the evening is because of lack of areas around the water hole.

Trail cameras could show me that a certain hole is WICKED active, but uh oh.... I don\'t have many ground options.
Well, I can check the wind, bring in my climber, and pick the perfect tree!

I am not sure this answers your questions, but it does help me.

Andy, if I find a good tree stand location, but want to hunt on the ground in the morning, I will stay well away from where my stand is placed until I am ready to climb in. I might place a camera at the stand location, but it is just because I want to see clearly what is coming around. The site shows me that elk, or even a bull is frequenting the area. The camera shows more clearly just what it is.

Andy
I keep a log of each and every elk encounter each fall.
Every time I see an elk I think about WHY that elk is there.
Kinda like putting the pieces of a puzzle together.
The elk are wandering around willy nilly and I want to know why they are there

That\'s where trail cams come in handy.

Sure there are locations I see elk that don\'t make good tree stand spots but it may be a spot for a cold call or maybe somewhere nearby there is a better spot.

If you were to see my tree stand spots you would notice similarities in all of them

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back