Two camera placement

ahoelzel

Mar 30, 2018
I only have 2 trail cams. Given that, where would be the highest value set-up locations for those cams? Over/near water holes? Trails? What else you have in mind?

ahoelzel said:
I only have 2 trail cams. Given that, where would be the highest value set-up locations for those cams? Over/near water holes? Trails? What else you have in mind?

Do you hunt early season? Late?

What are your goals for the cameras?  General inventory or trying to crack down times elk are coming in?

I use cameras where I hunt early season archery. It usually gives me a good idea on what's running around the area. However it's also one of the most vulnerable spots to have cameras taken....

I also like to put some on hidden wallows to see what time of day they are being used.

I had a camera stolen that was sitting on water. I just assume that if a water source is on a map then assume other people will scout that water hole. In this case I hide my camera off of a trail that leads to that water source. By doing this you still get an idea of what?s out there and when they head to water. If u pick up some of those Primos $25 cams it could be less painful if it walks off versus one of my Moultrie?s. I bought one just for some of these vulnerable set ups where you have to weigh the likeliness of losing a camera versus the info you will gain from having one there. As DTP stated, if the water source is hidden and off the beaten path I?d go ahead and put it on the water.

You might also check out the $28.88 Tasco's that Wally World sells... I bought one to play with a week or so ago and so far it does pretty good for a less than $30 camera...
It's not a black flash camera but has the red glow like other red glow IR cameras...
I know more if I ever get it out where I want to put it at the deer camp..

If I put a camera up on public land I will try and put it several feet higher than my head.  I put a small stick behind the top of the camera to get it to angle down towards that area I'm trying to cover.  I've taken pictures of other people walking by they are always looking at the ground or straight ahead, have never gotten a shot of someone looking at the camera.

Putting it higher up a tree does make it more difficult to set up, take down and check the photos.  Also, the wildlife don't seem to notice it all that often.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back