Upcoming Colorado Hunt

Pat

Feb 9, 2014
My son and I did a first time, 7 day, self guided, walk in, walk out, Colorado elk hunt in 2012 with our muzzleloaders.  We are primarily bow hunters however since it was our first time we chose the muzzleloaders.  We successfully called in and harvested two 5x5 bulls.  The stars aligned for us, the elk cooperated.  We are planning to go back this year with the bows and would prefer to go in the archery only season.  However, looking at the calendar the darker moon is going to be right at the season start end of August and not again until the third week in September during muzzleloader  Anybody have any thoughts on which would be the better time to go.  We are looking to go out and work the elk and are just not sure if the start of the archery season is too early to be successful calling.

Here in Utah I call elk in the first week of September. In Colorado could be different.

I would say it all depends on the pressure. It you hunt where there is none you will get responses when locating but then go get them. Trying to call them in will be more difficult. The later you go in September the more responsive they will be.

When we hunted in 2012 it was mid September and we heard bulls every day.  We just don't have enough knowledge of it to say whether or not it is even worth going for opening week or waiting until the dark moon during muzzleloader.  I don't expect to see much pressure if it is like we experienced before.  It is a long pack in and a long pack out.

We could hear bulls bugling the last two weeks of August this year and they were screaming mean opening weekend. This was in Montana of course... but I wouldn't rule anything out.

Unless you're in a limited draw unit, don't plan on the late season hunts being better.  I receive better response and see way more bulls opening weekend than later in September.  Colorado elk see WAY too many hunters by late September to be running around carelessly, where opening day always seems to be full of crazy bulls trying to round up their cows.  You may also find that there will be a lot less competition earlier in the season...just don't show up in my spot...i like spending opening weekend with elk and only elk  :D 

We were out the week before muzzleloader season last year and the bulls we going crazy in central CO last year....just before the crazy rain started.

I'll continue to welcome any replies I get but just wanted to say thanks for the replies already received.

We went up the first week of archery season and heard bulls bugling everyday. They weren't going crazy yet but were ringing up cows for sure.  Good luck!

Back