wall tent wood stove DIY

bbackowies

Sep 30, 2017
I have a 12x14 wall tent with a 5" stove Jack.  has anyone here tried a specific blue print or plan?  I'm checking out the ammo can, I have a large one 17.5" x 7.5" x 14.    wasn't sure how well it would hear that tent, I also have a Mr buddy dual burner heater to assist, but would prefer mostly the wood stove to do the work. any input is appreciated

This summer I made a wood stove for my 10x12 Davis wall tent.

16ga metal - 12"x12"X18" w/ a 3" stove pipe

Earlier this week I used it up Wyo and it burned for 4+ days straight.
I would get 3+ hrs loaded with dry pine and at night I would toss in a 'DuraFlame' log and that would simmer until morning

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 1
I built this stove a couple years ago out of a 30 gallon barrel. I did add a stove pipe damper to it also. I have 1  inch althread for the legs, all the pipe and legs come off and can be put in the stove for easy storage. I have built several more out of old 30 pound propane tanks, these work awesome and last longer then the barrel.

the stove I built used a 55 gal drum oriented vertically.  I intentionally designed it to operate in a lean combustion atmosphere, similar to a conventional smoker.

I did that so I could LOAD IT UP with fuel, then control the combustion process by limiting O2 intake with an intake damper. 

while this worked GREAT for kicking out heat, it caused the whole area to get REALLY smokey, and if the wind was blowing strong, it would occasionally backdraft back into the tent, putting a light layer of soot/ash all over the place.

do yall have that problem with conventional (horizontal) barrels? 

I?ve never had those issues with a typical stove in our wall tent. Are you using the top of it to put wood in and dampen it? If so, maybe having that area lower than where the pipe exits would help? I like the idea of being able to load it up with wood like that!

yes.  to load it, you just remove the lid and dump in as much chopped aspen as you can fit. 

then to light it, I'd just dump about two dozen lit charcoals using a charcoal chimney.

easy to use, but I'm not happy with the smoke and ash. =/

Yeah, I'm no expert but I'm sure that's why you are having the problems with the smoke. The smoke rises to the top of the barrel so if you open the lid, it'll leak out that way instead of going into the pipe. If you were able to cut a door below the top and below the pipe that you could use to add wood, etc, I would think that would really help you. It might limit how high you can fill it with wood, but I would think it would definitely reduce how much smoke would billow out when you open the top of it. Maybe you keep the top lid accessible but also add a door to the side? Then when initially lighting it you can use the top, but to add logs while it's burning you use the side? Just an idea.

Im not sure about the vertical barrel... All the heat and smoke goes up, and what doesnt go out the stack is rolling around the barrel, ready to poof out when you open the lid.

But you could easily convert it into a horizontal stove that would burn much better by cutting in a door on the end.
But WOW, thats a big stove for a wall tent.

Still using the same stove Davis sold me with my tent. Many hunts in my canvas mansion.  :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back