Water/lake

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Using a water filter would a high Colorado pond or small lake be drinkable? They seem rather stagnant to me and I have heard the water can be alkaline.

I've filled from mountain lakes plenty of times using a Katadyne Hiker Pro filter.  I've never had any issues but I do like to make surethe water is pretty clear to begin with.

I have filtered from an elk wallow just to get water, it worked out fine, not something I would recommend, but the filter has the capabilities.

All I know is always filter, we took water that looked like it was form a fresh spring once in the snow. the next day I was able to follow it up and found a beaver pond  :eek:

I always filter the water regardless of the source and also have iodine tablets for anything that is not fresh water from a spring or stream. I have small water flavors to put in the water after so I don't have to fight the taste of it with the iodine tablets.

Backpack Hunter said:
I have filtered from an elk wallow just to get water, it worked out fine, not something I would recommend, but the filter has the capabilities.

Not sure I am man enough for this one unless I am awfully thirsty. Might as well have a bite of the tip of the heart while gutting the animal and wash it down with the wallow water.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back