What is the best poundage for a bow?

tn ehunter

Feb 8, 2016
Just wanted to ask what do you think is the best poundage for a bow for hunting elk I am wanting to get another bow and I am leaning toward Mathews. Has anyone have any hints to help me as I look for one?
Thanks
Dt from East TN
Eph.3:20
1st Kings 21:3

Gotta be able to draw smooth without any struggle. Too high poundage and you have to move too much when you draw. After that it is all about how it feels in your hands. Get one you can fall in love with and you will shoot it more often.....for me I always pick one that sits dead in my hand, vs the speed. Would love to have the speed, but not at the cost of it jumping when I shoot.

Not only draw smooth but let down should be smooth. Used to think I had to shoot 80 plus. Dropped to 70 a few years ago, then bought a 65# Elite E35 and guess what, I'm still shooting through every animal. Go figure. It's a whole lot easier to hit a spot if your not struggling to hold the bow.

I have been up to 80# before, now shoot 60# and shoot better and still get pass throughs consistantly.  With todays technology there is no need to go heavy unless you are planning for a water buffalo hunt.

IMO the bows being produced today are very efficeint as far as energy and draw cycle, heavy poundage is not as necessary as being able to hold at full draw and not have a bow that is super jumpy. For the most part no matter how fast your bow is once you get over 310fps mark it gets hard to control fixed blade broad heads.

I agree, shoot what is COMFORTABLE to shoot. With that said, there is more to the equation. If you have a heavier draw you usually need a stiffer spine on your arrow and that usually comes with a heavier arrow, which leads to more kinetic energy on impact, especially on long range shots...but all that said, none of it is really that necessary. Accuracy will punch a tag more times than heavy penetration on a non lethal point of impact. Get comfort and shoot a lot!!!

Thanks fellows that does help me a lot I haven't bow hunted hard in 10-15 years but want
to get back into it. Plus I am getting some 14 points on elk and 7 on deer in CO. But I will still put in for KY and TN and CO hey you can't draw if you don't put in. While I look for another bow I will look for one 60-70 lb with 80% let off. Is there any other thing to look for in a bow that is good to have or know about I will be buying a used bow I just don't have that much to put into a new one and have to watch the cost on a used one. What is your favorite bow in Mathews and year it was made and about what it will cost now?
Thanks  DT in E TN
Eph.3:20
1st. Kings 21:3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back