what is your EASIEST hunt? physically, mentally.

elky McElkerson

Mar 13, 2014
we all know Elk hunting isnt easy. not even easy elk hunting is easy.

anything counts.

what is your \"country club\" hunt?

mine is Spring Turkey. i have sole permission to hunt private property. my friend\'s dads property. my friend is a merchant marine, and every spring he is in Guam or heading to Guam on a cargo ship. piloting the ship..first mate. he hasnt hunted with me in 3 years. just last year, i finally convinced my brother to come with me. my friends dad enjoys us both. we are polite, and we bring food and cook up a huge meal.

it is my shortest drive. 2.5 hours, we stay in a hotel. it is next door to an awesome micro brew joint..for my half pint i allow myself. california turkey rules says we have to end our hunts at 4pm. so we get a real dinner.

sun up is around 6:45 am. i park on asphalt, and we walk about half a mile into a field. i barely break a sweat. haha.

this time next sat..i hope i have feathers in my hair, body, mouth, truck, shoes,....

it is clearly my easiest hunt. yours?

hmmm, good question. used to be whitetail hunting. we left our stands out there so we just walked to them an hunted. I covered a lot of ground for turkeys, usually on my hands an knees. pronghorns over water is pretty easy but miserable when its hot

whitetail and turkey for sure. I hunt all private land 3 different spots and I\'m the only archery hunter on all of them. I have too say though that once you find the tree that you want, hanging the stand and trimming out your shooting lanes can be a lot of work. After that its an easy hunt and not too far from my house, they are 3 miles, 4 1/2 miles and 8 miles from my house. Go hunt and come back home nothing too it.

The youth outreach hunts I do.

Both on private land, stay in a heated bunk house, and normally a volunteer cook.

We can see three or four herds of pronghorns from the bunk house. We usually get one or two tags filled first light. Drive up to load your harvest.

The elk hunt is assisted by the ranch manager or his kids. They have a good idea on where the elk will be. But even this hunt may require walking a couple of miles.

Sometimes volunteering is a good thing.

Pronghorn, for sure.

Pronghorn are fun to hunt because you can \"dial\" the intensity up or down as much as you\'d like.

Got a kid or first-timer along? Great, we should be done by noon.

Want to hold out for something big? Great, we\'ll spend days behind glass, and put several lonnnggg stalks on before we\'re done.

Archery pronghorn over water can be disappointingly simple in the right spot.

I only hunt for muley buck and elk. I don\'t think either are easy, but I have to give the edge to a mature buck as harder.

So, I guess the elk is my easiest hunt. They do make a lot of noise, and tell you where they are. Never seen a buck do that. ;)

Whitetail after the stands are hung. It\'s just a relaxing hunt. Just walk in, climb up and wait. Always see other critters from the stand too.

Mine literally was a \'country club\' hunt...we used to hunt geese at a high end country club in town :) The superintendant actually wanted us out there to help keep the geese from destroying the course. We initially started by just wandering the course and stalking up on them. By the time we were done, we had dozens of decoys and lay down blinds. Let\'s just say it wasn\'t that difficult to lure them in!

Whitetail behind the house. Have actually had to get the bride out of the sack to help drag 140\" bucks. I can get a morning and evening hunt in on the same day without missing any work

Whitetail and turkey also behind the house. I usually put up a new stand or two every year for the fun of it but they stay up year round. I have also had the wife help me get em home. Can usually get them home, gutted and put away and hardly be late to work.

I would have to say whitetails here also. I hunt a buddys land so I can leave my stands and blinds up all season. I can leave my house and get my hunting clothes on and be on stand in less than a half hour. Most stands I can drive a wheeler to haul any out.

Whitetails for me. I have about 15 stands on my farm. I saw my largest buck in one 150yds from my front door last year. Turkeys are next easiest. Sometimes they strutt in my driveway or fron\'t yard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back