What\'s most offensive?

Olympushunt

Jun 30, 2014
This may have been asked before, and perhaps even proven but I\'ve always wondered what about humans is the big give away scent wise.
What is the most offensive thing the elk smell to tip them off? I have always thought hair held a ton of scent and therefore go almost butch with my hair cut before season. Buttt....no pun intended... is it our breath, B.O. (pit sweat) umm...other \"scents\" from other ends of our bodies, clothing, or just our overall smell? I know some claim that human urine doesn\'t bother the elk. I error on the side of no scent and refrain from leaving any deposits close to my spots. I know some \"human\" scents don\'t seem to bother them. Elk will feed around logging equipment with the diesel and various equipment smells that are very prominent. I have heard that being carnivorous, elk can smell that. I\'ve heard of some going vegetarian weeks before the season to hinder that. I like steak too much to do that. So, is it our breath that is most offensive? I could try holding my breath all season but I wouldn\'t hunt long. lol I always go with \"scent less\" soaps and washes but oddly enough I can still smell them. If I can...I know they can.

I am not sure what is the most offensive but I will bet you will not fool an elks nose. Play the wind and hope it stays steady.

I have on a couple occasions smelled cigarette smoke from a car I was following 100 yards ahead of me at 65 miles/hour. I know an elks nose is way better than mine. They could probably smell you 1/2 mile away if conditions were right.

\"Olympushunt\" said:
I have always thought hair held a ton of scent and therefore go almost butch with my hair cut before season.

Hair holds the bacteria that consume sweat...so the by-products of those bacteria = B.O. :oops:

This is why I am pretty much smooth shaven (most places) before I head up into the elk woods. I keep the hair on my head short, but I don\'t shave completely off.

I have heard that being carnivorous, elk can smell that.

I have heard that too. I think it\'s sacriligious for a true predator to give up meat before pursuing his quarry :lol:

LOL! Totally agree with you on that Jeff. The elk gods might frown on the irony but I have always like going through the woods elk hunting with a nice big piece of elk jerky in my mouth. :upthumb: I wonder they smell that and say \"Dang.....that smells like Bob was rolling around in that ol burn\"

\"Olympushunt\" said:
LOL! Totally agree with you on that Jeff. The elk gods might frown on the irony but I have always like going through the woods elk hunting with a nice big piece of elk jerky in my mouth. :upthumb: I wonder they smell that and say \"Dang.....that smells like Bob was rolling around in that ol burn\"

Yeah Luke LOL.

I figure, I\'m out there trying to pretend like I\'m an elk, and I\'ve heard it said, you are what you eat .... :think:

I suppose what an elk smells the easiest is what we smell first on an unwashed body. I try to keep my hair, armpits and crotch especially clean. I have no idea that I am scent free to a down wind animal, but I try to minimize it and deduce the scent contamination in the area. I am satisfied that at times, and in places it helps to minimize my scent.

Interesting article I read a while ago about body odor in ancient times. I don\'t have it right here, so can\'t remember all the details.

Have you ever watched old westerns or \"Vikings\" as something with \"intimate content\" is portrayed and wondered how they ever dealt with the odor? I mean, if I spend a week in the woods, I\'m pretty sure my wife wants to be as far away from me as possible until I clean up.

Well, the thought is that since we (most of us, anyway) wash each day with some sort of soap, we are actually getting rid of bacteria that would, if we didn\'t kill them, consume much of the odoriferous material we are covered with. Additionally, that greasy hair would go away, too. There have been some attempts to re-populate these bacteria, and there are even some products on the market that claim an ability to do that, though they aren\'t all that successful, apparently.

Populating our skin with \"odor-eater bacteria\" is probably not all that easy, and may have to be done essentially from birth, and on a population-wide basis, but it\'s interesting, isn\'t it? I mean, isn\'t it interesting that our desire to be \"clean\" and \"odor-free\" has actually made us ... stinky?

(I think that in the next few decades, we\'ll really start to understand the bacteria on our skin, in our guts, and on our teeth in a whole new way, and it\'ll have profound implications for our health. And maybe our hunting, too.)

What you eat can also contribute to your personal \'aroma\'

I did a bit of research that I found interesting

A diet heavy in garlic and onion can stink up more than just your mouth. It\'s true -- smelly foods are broken down into smelly compounds that circulate in the blood stream and come out through the breath, sweat and urine, WebMD reported.

But garlic and onion aren\'t the only offenders. In fact, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and other veggies in the cruciferous family include those same smelly compounds -- typically, sulfur -- and can lead to all-over stench.

While you can\'t exactly sweat off that hangover, you do sweat out some booze when you drink. As alcohol courses through your blood and around your body, some seeps out through the pores -- and, quite evidently, through the breath. It doesn\'t matter what type of alcohol you drink; once the body begins to break it down it all smells the same.

Some people also report a similar change in body odor when switching to a diet heavy in meat and low in carbs. A low-carb diet is known to impact the smell of breath.

Funny ... I would think garlic and alcohol would serve as an attractant to the opposite sex.

Wife sees things differently.

\"Deertick\" said:
Interesting article I read a while ago about body odor in ancient times. I don\'t have it right here, so can\'t remember all the details.

Have you ever watched old westerns or \"Vikings\" as something with \"intimate content\" is portrayed and wondered how they ever dealt with the odor? I mean, if I spend a week in the woods, I\'m pretty sure my wife wants to be as far away from me as possible until I clean up.

Well, the thought is that since we (most of us, anyway) wash each day with some sort of soap, we are actually getting rid of bacteria that would, if we didn\'t kill them, consume much of the odoriferous material we are covered with. Additionally, that greasy hair would go away, too. There have been some attempts to re-populate these bacteria, and there are even some products on the market that claim an ability to do that, though they aren\'t all that successful, apparently.

Populating our skin with \"odor-eater bacteria\" is probably not all that easy, and may have to be done essentially from birth, and on a population-wide basis, but it\'s interesting, isn\'t it? I mean, isn\'t it interesting that our desire to be \"clean\" and \"odor-free\" has actually made us ... stinky?

(I think that in the next few decades, we\'ll really start to understand the bacteria on our skin, in our guts, and on our teeth in a whole new way, and it\'ll have profound implications for our health. And maybe our hunting, too.)

I totally believe you are spot on. I do think after a certain point a person who is quite \"ripe\" (lack of a better term) it seems to not be quite as prominent. Maybe just my nose hairs are burnt. :dk: But....not to be mean...I think some homeless folks don\'t smell as bad a someone who has been without a shower for say 3 days. Anyone on the forum here volunteer to go without a bath for 6 months and follow their aroma progression? lol Bacteria are cool critters for sure. I have heard that with all the antibacterial soaps we use daily we are actually doing ourselves a disservice. Do you think that is true John?
I also hear what you are saying Brad.....I have noticed different ethnic groups have more distinct smells likely due to their diet I\'m guessing.

\"Olympushunt\" said:
I have heard that with all the antibacterial soaps we use daily we are actually doing ourselves a disservice. Do you think that is true Derek?

I assume you are referring to Deertick and not me?

Personally, I think a lot of what is being said is true. If someone went without a shower for 6 months, or really without using soap, I am sure the scent wouldn\'t be as recognizable.

\"cohunter14\" said:
\"Olympushunt\" said:
I have heard that with all the antibacterial soaps we use daily we are actually doing ourselves a disservice. Do you think that is true Derek?

I assume you are referring to Deertick and not me?

Personally, I think a lot of what is being said is true. If someone went without a shower for 6 months, or really without using soap, I am sure the scent wouldn\'t be as recognizable.

Sorry! My bad...I meant John.... wrong brain this morning. lol :oops: Must have Derek on the brain. :p

I was watching one of those survival shows once...not BEAR Gryllls but some other guy, and he was taking \"smoke\" baths by the campfire to mask his scent.
I also read cover scenting like that isn\'t all that effective for fooling an elk. Swede and I tried using a skunk cover scent once. ONCE. Dad put it on a bit too strong and in between relocating that morning, I rode in the back of the truck! I read all the elk will think is some dude got in a wrestling match with a skunk and lost. lol
But my whole question is taking on some interesting perspectives. :rtfm:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back