What scope to use?

Medic137049

Mar 9, 2019
What scope should I mount on my rifle for Elk hunting, Ruger M77 .270, price range up to $400.00

Welcome to the site!  :welcome:

In that price range, I would probably be looking at a Leupold VX-3i in 3.5x10 or a Vortex Diamondback. I?d also consider looking at used Vortex Vipers that could fall in that price range: the HS, HS-T, and HS-LR would all be excellent options if you could find them for under $400.

Thank you, I am researching all that have been recommended so far, it is very much appreciated.

I would stick to a 2x7 or maybe a 3x9. Mainly to keep your shots in an effective range of say 200 yards. I know some people say the 270 is a good elk round but I feel at long ranges it is a little under powered. Kind of the same reason I won't take long shots with my bow. That said, I'm partial to Vortex but there are others too.

I have some recent experience with this rangefinder I bought. My brother was able to use this right after getting it for when he went rifle shooting. He felt that it was very accurate. Nice looking product with a reasonable price. It comes with battery since it takes a different kind than the usual everyday batteries. He was excited to get more accurate distance for rifle and for scope. Nice buy overall, definitely recommended.

Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 is about optimal for weight vs brightness. I practice out to 600 yards with my 270 and have no problem with 8x at the top end for vitals hits on cardboard silhouettes.
3.5-10 is a good choice too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back