What species to hunt in California?

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I will be moving to California in 2014 to attend the UC Davis Master Brewers Program.  Wondering what species to go after while I'm out there.  Most people have said Blacktail or Black Bear.  They also have good turkey and hogs year round.

Might as well throw mule deer and turkeys into the mix.
If I'm not mistaken I think California has changed some rules on how you can hunt black bear recently.

No more dog hunting for bears . I think California is most know for there blacktails . Good luck , I hunted there one time, watch out for pot grow opperations , they shoot to kill. They are in some of the most remote country .

Bucklucky said:
No more dof hunting for bears . I think California is most know for there blacktails . Good luck , I hunted there one time, watch out for pot grow opperations , they shoot to kill. They are in some of the most remote country .

yeah I am definitely gonna be going after blacktails while I'm out there.  I had not even considered the grow ops and other illegal activity in the backcounty, but that is definitely something to keep in mind with all the illegals and cartel influence in the southwest

I am originally from CA.  Central area.  Deer are small but you can still get tags over the counter for some areas.  I am planning on going back to hunt with family.  Probably try for a black bear.

dplumlee12 said:
I am originally from CA.  Central area.  Deer are small but you can still get tags over the counter for some areas.  I am planning on going back to hunt with family.  Probably try for a black bear.

that's right where I'll be, davis.  which is sacramento area

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back