What state?

Primitive

Jan 2, 2013
Being from Oregon, any elk is a good trophy.  What state would you guys recommend for a chance at a good bull(6pt) that is OTC or able to draw about every other year?  Don't want honey holes, just suggestions.  I don't need 340 bulls or anything just good 5-6 point bulls.

Prolly Co--With exception of 1st rifle season, you can get OTC tags,for Bulls. Most of the GMU's offer OTC archery tags, either sex. They also have more Elk than any other State, around 300,000 I think.--Bill

You can get them here in oregon just have to be willing to go after them.Catherine creek unit has changed and is either sex for archery this year.

linds1007 said:
You can get them here in oregon just have to be willing to go after them.Catherine creek unit has changed and is either sex for archery this year.
I know they are here, the problem is there are far less than other states.  I have seen plenty from time to time, but the odds are better in other states from what I have read on fish and game websites for stats.  Oregon is one of the only states that thinks a 10 to 100 ration of bulls to cows is a good management stategy, and if they don't get it the issue more cow tags to get it right.  I know several other states expect at least 15 to 100 and a couple shoot for 20-100. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt OTC here just wish we could get sound manage practices here but that seems to be asking to much for the liberals that have taken over this state!

Well being from Oregon i know they have tons of bulls to hunt.  But to answer your question i say Idaho. It has great opportunities to hunt every year with OTC tag purchases and a lot of area to hunt.

Remember in idaho you have to hunt the unit you choose to hunt unlike Colorado you can hunt over half the state otc.

I live and hunt WA but would love to try Idaho sometime soon, they have twice the elk WA has...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back