What to do when you reach a plateau in your weight loss?

polishturkey

Feb 12, 2013
I have lost about 18 pounds since the first of the year.  It has been coming off pretty steady until the last week and a half.  I have not changed anything with my diet and my excercise, but just stopped losing weight.  I am doing the crossfit workouts 5 times a week and am watching what I eat on a daily basis.  I still would like to lose about 30 pounds before September but am stumped right now.  What do I need to do differently to get over this hump? 

Change up your work out...you are also building muscle now so you are still losing fat but gaining muscle.so don't worry too much.

Are you going to a CrossFit gym or doing CrossFit exercises? Reason I ask is if you are doing the CrossFit exercises at home I wonder if you are doing the same exercises over and over again as oppose to a CrossFit gym which mixes all different exercises.

A plateau is normal at some point, so do not get discouraged. Stay with it and keep at it. My guess is you are doing the same exercises over and over. It's time to change your exercise routine and shock you body, again. I know people that will run 5-10 miles 3-4 times a week and will even put on a few pounds. They have been doing the same thing for so long that their bodies are used to it. Other than cardio, they are probably not getting much out of it.

The body is an amazing thing. Keep it guessing. And when you hit another plateau, change it up again.

P90X calls it muscle confusion you always have to keep mixing thing up in order to keep seeing results and muscle weighs more than fat just keep watching the waist line and don't get abscessed with the scale it doesn't mean that much 

We do not go to a crossfit gym because there is not one within an hour of our house.  We do get the WOD's and do them at the local high school gym.  But it does seem that we do alot of the same exercises.  What changes should I make?

I don't have any advice for workouts as I am needing to learn more, but do agree with Ghost.  Change up your workout.  If you are not getting sore every couple of weeks you need to change things and push yourself harder.  The body needs to tear down and rebuild for the muscle to get stronger.

polishturkey said:
We do not go to a crossfit gym because there is not one within an hour of our house.  We do get the WOD's and do them at the local high school gym.  But it does seem that we do alot of the same exercises.  What changes should I make?

Mix it up.  I do CrossFit at home mixed in with hiking with a weighed pack, mountain bike and kayak all summer. Even playing golf, I'll hit the ball then run to my ball while my playing partner brings the cart with my clubs behind. During the winter I will ski pretty hard and fast until my legs hurt and run on the well pack trails. I am on the road a lot and I will normally take the stairs to my room carrying my luggage and I will bring along my laptop and do Insanity workouts or use my travel XRT exercise equipment for resistance training.

My point is, try and approach anything you do with a purpose. Wether it is getting the mail and running the long way around to the mailbox or getting groceries and leaving the cart behind and grabbing a basket instead. Or grab a shovel during the winter and not the snow thrower.

As far as working out in the gym and what to do, there is an incredible amount of information out there as far as exercises go. Find a routine and do them hard for 2-3 weeks. Then find another routine and do it hard for 2-3 weeks. Then do same with a different routine. When you are done with 3 or 4 routines, start again with the first.

90% of weight loss for most people is diet. There are too many "unknown's" in your scenario to be 100% accurate. That said you most likely also need to change up your diet. Either clean it up more, refeed, cut calories, etc. Very hard to know without knowing your exact situation. Good luck.

Hey Les,
I'm eating about 1400-1500 calories per day.  There is a subway next to my work and I usually eat a 6" sub for lunch.  Cheerios or oatmeal for breakfast and a decent dinner.  Haven't been eating after 730 at night.  Can you recommend anything to change?  Its getting a little better but still its coming off slower than it did.

What is your height/weight? Plateaus require a change-up. For me and the clients I train, it is never more then 4 weeks in a row without exercise change up. For diet, if you are not now, I would recommend a re-feed day. Your body may sense it is being starved on that low of calorie count. Take 1-2 days a week and go heavier. 2500-3000 calories. Indulge a little but try and keep it clean. Let your body realize it isn't getting starved. Depending on height/weight/bodyfat% you may have to up your total calories everyday. 1400 is pretty light if you are working out a lot.

I'm 5-10 and right now weigh 225.  I was 248 jan 1st.  What kind of foods should you eat for refeed days?  I thought maybe I was taking in too few calories.

You have to eat to lose - if  you are not getting sufficient calories your body will go into "starvation mode" and begin to store fat rather than burn it.  Eat small portions more frequently - i personally eat 6 times a day (200-400 calories per "meal" depending on my workout and activity that day).  Additionally, keep in mind - it's not about the numbers on the scale - its about how you look and feel.  As you work out you are going to build muscle - a pound of muscle is about the size ofa tennis ball whereas a pound of fat is about the size of a softball - in other words, muscle weighs more than fat.  eat high energy metabolizing foods i.e. foods that stimulate your metabolism and promote fat loss. As others have stated - change up your routine a little - shock your body into reacting again - most important - keep at it - you'll break through the plateau.

When you hit a stall like that sometimes you need to tweek your diet.This is all based on cals consumed.I at a 2200 cal eat  275 grams of protien 165 grams carbs 48 grams fat. So when I stall I cycle my carbs 2 days low 1 normal.Also a cheat day is good beacuse your body gets use to your diet.So guys throw in a cheat day.I should say meal.Now this dont mean consume 3000 cals at a pizza shop.But enjoy a regular meal a slice of cake.This jump starts your metabolism.And will keep you losing weight.This is wat the bodybuilders do.Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back