what to do?

Cbb

Dec 30, 2012
Well i had planned a whitetail hunt but that fell through. Ive always wanted to hunt elk but havent done it yet. Got a couple problems.. first i am all the way in PA and that makes driving expensive and all my hunting buddies have no interest. That leaves me pretty much going solo with no experience.. Do say hell with it and grow a set and go to colorado on a diy or use what i was going to spend on a hunt this year on a deposit for a guided hunt in 2014?  If i did go solo this year it would be for the experience nothing else..

I have been is the same situation before - I wish I would have just went solo. It's a pain trying to get guys together to plan a trip.

So if it were me I'd go hunting - if someone ends up going with you that's just a bonus. Go huntin!

I have made the drive from PA to CO with 4-guys in a truck, the drive is the worst part. If I were going solo, I think I would fly out and have a drop camp arranged if it were possible. the cost for fuel last year was around $1200 split 4-way is not bad, the time commitment of driving to our spot is 27hours. going solo is expensive and would be miserable driving non-stop. I personally would not want to do it totally solo, I would take my wife or pull one of my kids out of school first.
Pennsylvanians are fanatical about whitetail hunting, but most don't get elk hunting, but there are pockets of elk hunters too. It is just finding them. Good luck

Thanks for the responses. I agree the drive seems daunting by yourself.
Lets say i flew out, got real lucky and killed an elk.. How much should i expect to pay for shipping the meat home? Im thinking if i did go it would be 2nd rifle otc.. Or archery..Rifle being just ahead in choice given the extended range.

If your going for the experience than I would think more about the archery, no question a way better experience in my opinion but your odds of harvesing are higher with rifle. If its about the meat than go rifle, I would rather call in a bull to 10 yards screaming like made and not get him than shot an avrage bull at 400 yards with a rifle Just my opinion.

I'm working with outfitter from PA here in NM. Some  folks fly out then rent veh. ,long solo trip. But best way to get meat home is driving. Or have it processed and shipped.

And elk hunting is not like deer hunting. And even harder solo. Unless you have alot of time to learn and observe them,go guided or semi-guided drop camp IMHO.  And go with what you know first,rifle or MZ if your not currently bow hunting.  You will have better success chance and be hooked. Get good with a bow and you'll be a fanatic.

You might try a cow hunt first too Lots of the best meat there is!

I don't bow hunt any more but am hooked on the tactics for rifle and mz......love them blowing snot at you and making the ground tremble.......I'm a hooked fanatic!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back